TF2 Spray Annoyances

NixJedi

Forum Fiend
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
741
Well, I'm about to throw both my monitors out the window.

I have a nice little image I want to create as a spray in TF2:

51051390417820619149.png


The problem is that no matter how many different ways I try to make the damn thing transparent TF2 either tells me that the image is corrupt, or it shows up in the options menu preview as black and purple boxes and in game as nothing.

I've gotten so pissed that I reinstalled TF2 and still nothing.

PSD: HERE
PNG: HERE
TGA (w/ Alpha Channel): HERE
VTF: HERE

Anybody want to take a swing as to why I can't get this to work?

I'm about to reformat my gaming tower in anger. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help! :)
 
I got my transparent spray working after a while. I got the alpha channel, then saved it as TGA, opened it in VTFEdit and made sure to uncheck "Generate Mipmaps" when you load it into VTFEdit.
So long as you uncheck the mipmaps it should load right, unless you've already done that.
 
I got my transparent spray working after a while. I got the alpha channel, then saved it as TGA, opened it in VTFEdit and made sure to uncheck "Generate Mipmaps" when you load it into VTFEdit.
So long as you uncheck the mipmaps it should load right, unless you've already done that.

I've done everything to my knowledge perfectly correct. That's pert of the reason I'm going insane... :biggrin::blink::cursing:
 
I've done everything to my knowledge perfectly correct. That's pert of the reason I'm going insane... :biggrin::blink::cursing:
Sprays are usually messed up, reinstalling TF2 won't help. If you can live without transparency then do go ahead, it doesn't really matter in the end.
 
Last edited:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5965164/wmdspray.vtf

Gave it a shot myself just in case you were missing something.

Copy the spray into both of these folders:
steam\steamapps\{username}\TF2\tf\materials\VGUI\logos
steam\steamapps\{username}\TF2\tf\materials\VGUI\logos\UI

See if that works. I'd test it myself but TF2 isn't installed. :(
 
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5965164/wmdspray.vtf

Gave it a shot myself just in case you were missing something.

Copy the spray into both of these folders:
steamsteamapps{username}TF2tfmaterialsVGUIlogos
steamsteamapps{username}TF2tfmaterialsVGUIlogosUI

See if that works. I'd test it myself but TF2 isn't installed. :(

Still coming up as nothing in game and purple and black squares in preview... I wonder what the heck is going on here... :bored:

Thanks for the help regardless, I can't think at all as to why it's not showing up. Sprays are enabled in my config file and I can certainly see other peoples' sprays... And I could see my own old spray... :lol:

I hate my life right now. :thumbdown:
 
Alright, got TF2 installed and there's nothing wrong with the spray as you can see.

F2yXP.jpg


Unfortunately, I have no idea what could be wrong. Try resetting your config or something, I dunno. Sorry man.
 
The purple and black boxes are the default for missing or corrupt transparent/reflective texture.
Uninstalling TF2, going in and manually deleting any residual files (might be best to uninstall Steam as well and delete the whole folder to make sure you are rid of them), and reinstalling might fix it.

Steam is notoriously quirky though, so even all of that might not help, but its something to try at least.
 
Sweet, time to take out some of my limitless anger on a complete reinstall from the ground up.

Now I'll install that SSD I've been sitting on for 2 months... ROFL

Thanks so much guys. I thought I was going crazy there for a bit... :)
 
Hey WMD, glad to see you got some help in here, sorry for the late reply. These people are way more competent than me, anyway lol.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top