Best video card?

Walkuere-

Poster
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
170
I need a new video card because with the one I have right now just isn't getting enough fps for Black Ops and so I was wondering if anyone can help me pick one out. I compared a few on newegg.com but I don't know what all the technical stuff I should be aware of :confused1: any suggestion would really help lol thanks :)
 
What is your budget?

Also what computer do you have? Custom? And the power supply and the power supply rating?
 
$100-$200

my computer is custom from cyberpowerpc and my power supply is 700W and I'm not sure about the rating :/
 
Err I lied, what is the combined 12v amperage? Wattage gives a good estimate, but normally prebuilt computers give you lower grade power supplies.

Your best bet is as stated above, a GTX 460 1 GB, just make sure you have 2 x PCI-Express 6 pin connectors. They can be had for 155~ after MIR usually.
 
What's your CPU? Black Ops is more CPU bound than GPU bound. But if you're wanting to get a new graphics card, a GTX 460 or HD 6850 is your best bet.
 
I would second the 1GB GTX 460. Unless you want to wait for the GTX 560 which is supposed to come out Q1 2011. 48 more shaders and clocked higher (may or may not end up overclocking higher) and probably similar TDP.
 
Bad FPS compared to what? Black Ops runs fine for me excluding the once a game lag (typical)
Compared to what they should be getting. The engine isn't that impressive, and we should be pulling a steady 125 FPS, but a lot of the maps have huge dips in FPS.

Sure, the FPS is playable, but not at all what people should be pulling.

Then again, if the OP is pulling like 20-30 fps, which isn't playable IMO yeah he needs an upgrade. Probably should have asked that first.
 
Last edited:
Compared to what they should be getting. The engine isn't that impressive, and we should be pulling a steady 125 FPS, but a lot of the maps have huge dips in FPS.

Sure, the FPS is playable, but not at all what people should be pulling.

Then again, if the OP is pulling like 20-30 fps, which isn't playable IMO yeah he needs an upgrade. Probably should have asked that first.

lol 20-30 fps is unplayable hahahhahaha! I've played CoD4 once with an average 15 fps, got in 2nd place in TDM on my team (first time playing)
 
lol 20-30 fps is unplayable hahahhahaha! I've played CoD4 once with an average 15 fps, got in 2nd place in TDM on my team (first time playing)

In all honesty, the human eye cannot see above 30 FPS, maybe 60 if you are a trained ninja.

Those benchmarks were 1 video card gets 1 FPS lower a competitor and they say it's a better video card are stupid cause realistically we can't even take advantage of it. Only useful in bragging and folding.
 
In all honesty, the human eye cannot see above 30 FPS, maybe 60 if you are a trained ninja.

Those benchmarks were 1 video card gets 1 FPS lower a competitor and they say it's a better video card are stupid cause realistically we can't even take advantage of it. Only useful in bragging and folding.

a human eye can see an indefinite amount of frames per second.

Now where you notice it, is different for every person

Please read this:
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
 
My CPU is an AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core Processor, 2700 MHz
I don't know if it can handle Black Ops or not :/
 
In all honesty, the human eye cannot see above 30 FPS, maybe 60 if you are a trained ninja.

Those benchmarks were 1 video card gets 1 FPS lower a competitor and they say it's a better video card are stupid cause realistically we can't even take advantage of it. Only useful in bragging and folding.
That's wrong, also it's not even a matter of seeing it, it's a matter of feeling the input lag since your moving in it. 30 fps feels like your moving your mouse in mud. Also what's worse is in black ops your running around at 125 fps then randomly hit spots of 40 fps, and going from that many frames to that low of frames is insanely noticeable, feels super sluggish.
 
That's wrong, also it's not even a matter of seeing it, it's a matter of feeling the input lag since your moving in it. 30 fps feels like your moving your mouse in mud. Also what's worse is in black ops your running around at 125 fps then randomly hit spots of 40 fps, and going from that many frames to that low of frames is insanely noticeable, feels super sluggish.

I'll quote myself

a human eye can see an indefinite amount of frames per second.

Now where you notice it, is different for every person

Please read this:
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
 

Latest posts

Back
Top