Harddrive.

Duke

Poster
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
158
Okay.. So I have a 120 GB hdd on my laptop. Its not bad BUT.. It is split in 2.. 60 and 60, one 60 is for my programs the other 60 is for system restore.. I know system restore doesn't need 60 gbs of space.

If anybody knows how to relocate some of the 60 for System Restore to the 60 for programs and feels like helping me I would appreciate it very much. You can PM me , post on here or add me on steam.


----------- UPDATE -------------

So me and Blue down there spent HOURS and I mean hours trying to relocate the space like I want. After trying different things we have come to find out that for some reason in Disk Management it does NOT list my hard drive. In device manager it does NOT show Disk Drives, where my hard drives would be.

We tried different things with command prompt, tried it in Safe Mode, I checked the setup to make sure everything was fine. Windows cant find a problem. I checked to see if I had a ROOTKIT virus and I don't. Nothing is making sense

Another weird thing is if I right click on C: it says that the name/path is my DVD/CD-ROM drive.

If someone could help us/me out that would be AMAZING..


---- Another Update -----

So I tried what Slayer down there said to do BUT I have found out that I have a mounting problem.. I can move some of the space from D to C but it doesn't stay BECAUSE of my mounting error i get when the program restarts and tries to do it.. Any ideas ANYONE?
 
Last edited:
There used to be a program out there called Partition Magic. I think I downloaded it once for like 15 dollars. It would allow you to resize partitions so that you could do what you are wanting to do.
 
i know a good program to switch partitions; move them, make em smaller, larger, etc etc... I'll be glad to post a link any time soon. I'll do it in an 1.30 hours or something. I'm on other pc and don't know the link outta my head. Hang tight broham
 
It's starting to sound like things are fundamentally unstable all the way around. It's worth checking in your BIOS to be sure that the drives are seen, although it's booting off of something, so I don't imagine that's the issue.

Were I in a similar situation, rather than spend hours trying to resize unstable partitions, I'd back up everything I want to keep (including using the Steam backup option) to an external hard drive, wipe the computer down the bare metal, and start again.

Should you decide to go down this route, here's a (super generic) list of steps:

  1. Back up everything to an external HDD.
  2. Make CERTAIN you have all reinstallation media. This can include redownloading other software you may need.
  3. Use something like DBAN (http://www.dban.org) to wipe the drive
  4. Reload your Operating System
  5. Reinstall your software and restore your data
 
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

gparted my friend. Burn it to a disc in ISO format and boot from it. Its free and you can resize your partitions using that bad boy. Dont forget...ITS FREE and the best as far as im concerned.

Edit: if ya need any help with it, just send me a pm

Edit2: I apologize, i thought the colored text was your quotes, Your going to have to do as Flippy says sadly. The guys spot on for what you have to do to get things running correctly. Hopefully you have an external hardrive, id simply use that instead of backup software. Im not a fan. It may not be mounting because its using an unknown filesystem. The softare i gave you reads all file systems and it should mount if that is to be the case.
 
Last edited:
Flippy sorry didnt see your post earlier... I though about doing that BUT, I don't have DVD's or CD's for this computer/operating system. I would have to do a restore back to factory. Seeing as I have though about this I can not figure out how to send this thing into restore mode from the boot screen.
 
Hit Alt+F10 as you see the Acer screen when the computer posts. You should get a different boot screen and hit enter, that should be your factory reset good sir.
 
Okay soo I am going to completely restore this laptop but I don't have disc to back anything up nor an external harddrive. Is there a website or something I can use to backup stuff like my steam etc?
 
steam will allow you to re-download it, but you may be able to use Dropbox, ive never used it myself :P i think you get 8 gigs free
 

Latest posts

Back
Top