Desktop Wireless: USB Adaptor or PCI Adaptor?

iEye Captain

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
2,849
Hi!

I bought a Trend Net Micro N Wireless USB Adaptor last week and used it on my new desktop. I installed the software and all. But after 15 or so minutes, the connection will die out (becomes extremely slow, then stops altogether). Then about 10 minutes later, it'll connect again.

Frustrated, I went out and refunded it and bought a D-Link Wireless N USB Adaptor. Installed the software. Same thing happens.

The guy at the store said that I need to "choose" between using Window 7's wireless utility or the utility included in the software by TrendNet or D-Link. Is this the issue?

My wireless modem is about 20 yards away in another room, but when I had my laptop, the connection was fine (the other computers in my house had their connection working too).

I was wondering if I should refund the USB wireless adaptors and buy a PCI Adaptor instead?

I'm looking at this one right now:

ASUS PCI-G31

Oh, and my wireless modem is wireless G. If that helps.
 
I currently use the "Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter" and have found it highly stable. As you have mentioned, you're currently using a "wireless G" router. If you upgrade to an "N-type" wireless adapter, I doubt you will see any increase in performance.

If its in your budget, try out Linksys' products. Here's the WMP54G Wireless adapter from Linksys. Link

I hope this helps.
 
I definitely find PCI cards more stable than USB adapters.

I also try to buy an adapter that is the same brand as my wireless router. I have had (dropped connection) issues trying to mix brands before. Doesn't mean you have to, I just recommend it.

P.S. I would buy a wireless N adapter just in case you ever upgrade routers. Might as well future proof as much as possible.
 
Stephen -

Yeah, I was going to buy that Link-Sys one, but they're out of stock.

FreakingHell -

That's what I figured, I have another desktop in my house with a PCI adapter that works fine (albeit a wee bit slower than connecting on a laptop, but that might be because it's an unknown brand).

Thanks for your opinions, fellas.
 
Update for future reference -

Found the problem.

The USB Micro Adaptor was plugged into my desktop case front USB port, which is near ground level.

I used the USB extender and put the adaptor on my desk and now it works fine!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top