Random Freezing/ Slow Loading in TF2

Nemo

Thread Thumper
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
1,137
I'm having an issue in TF2. First, when I join a server, and it says "Retrieving Server Info...Client Info, etc." it takes a LONG time before joining. Before it was very fast. Now loading up TF2 by itself and not joining a server general is still fast.

Second, I get random freezing (like super lag) in game at times. It happens when I first join, when things get a little crazy, and at other random times. Sometimes it crashes Steam.

Any ideas? I wonder if I need a new network card.

My System Specs:

Core i7 860 (Turbo On)
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Gigabyte P55-UD3
640 GB Caviar Black
Integrated NIC
GeForce GTX 275 (selling on eBay), now GTS 8800, soon GTX 580.
Windows 7 Professional x64

Internet Specs:

8mb Internet Cable (only one in my neighborhood), was 12mb on UVerse
Using Surfboard 6120 modem with Netgear WNDR3700 on Gigabit LAN

Thanks!

Nemo
 
Well, first thing is first,
If it lags when things "get a little crazy", which by that, I assume you mean warfare is occurring, it'd have to do with your graphics card, not network card.*

Secondly,
If it stalls at the retrieving server/sending client info, this has nothing to do with your network card. This is also tangled up with your visual card, and may be tangled with other products.

I've noticed you have your turbo on. I assume this is similar to overclocking?
If so, a lot of people report having the same problem when overclocked and playing TF2. If you are overclocking, have you tried to turn it off then attempt to game in TF2?

Can you explain to me in detail how it crashes STEAM? As in, what happens exactly?
"We're sorry, STEAM/hl2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close." or does it just shut down automatically with no message?

*Unless you mean that it actually lags out, as in "Disconnected from server." message or you get the little countdown and not your graphics freeze up.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Ric. To answer your questions:

Turbo mode is a form of natual overclocking by my core i7. Depending on how many cores are active, it automatically increases the speed up to 3.4GHz. I do have the option to try and turn it off and I may try that. I can also turn off 3 of the cores and run it at 3.4GHz by itself as a single core.

As far as my graphics card, I've never really had any trouble with my GTX 275. I used to have my settings cranked up (4x AA and 8X AF on a 1920x1080) with my GTS 8800 512 and it was fine. I just upgraded to a GTX 580 and it did it again last night.

Do you think it could it be my motherboard and my PCI-E slot going bad? I had thought it was my hard drive about to go out because I've noticed windows a little slower than before, and I just reformatted it.

And for the steam error, it is the "We're sorry" windows error after the freeze up.
 
Please perform the following:

1) Hit Windows Key + R at the same time. Result should be a run window.
2) Type in "cmd.exe" without the quotes. Result should be a command prompt window.
3) Type "eventvwr" without the quotes and hit enter. Result should be a new window, it may take a while to become updated.

6gzj41.jpg


4) Navigate to exactly where I am at and take a look for something with a red (!) next to it that also has the level as "Error". What we're looking for here is something to mention hl2.exe or steam.exe, should be near the top.
5) Take all of that text once you've highlighted the error message and post it in this thread.

The reason why I am asking you to do this is because the error message will give me detailed reasonings as to why your game keeps crashing, and what is faulting for it to do so. Below is an example of what I am looking for.

Faulting application name: hl2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d094ebe
Faulting module name: client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d110c8b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00259a64
Faulting process id: 0xc9c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbad1eddd55b60
Faulting application path: c:program files (x86)steamsteamapps???counter-strike sourcehl2.exe
Faulting module path: c:program files (x86)steamsteamapps???counter-strike sourcecstrikebinclient.dll
Report Id: d2a7b8d4-1989-11e0-865c-00248cdfe30d
 
Last edited:
Ok, I'll try it when I get home tonight and post the pic. It hasn't crashed in a while, but that doesn't mean it won't.

After reading on some other forums, it seems the issue could also be, as you have said: A) My EVGA precision software and/or B) my power-saving settings on my motherboard which are currently enabled so turbo mode will work. I will also turn all of those off including turbo mode and see if that fixes it. Regardless, I appreciate the time you took to look into my issue Ric.
 
Last edited:
No errors after checking. I had reformatted, so they had gotten deleted. However, after turning off turbo and turning off power saving features, I am pleased to say no more problems! Thank you for your help.
 
Any time, I like to help others. :)
Come back to us if you have any more technical problems!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top