Agreed. Barebone 'kits' are, IMHO, worthless; all they really do is ship you the easiest parts already put in the case and they charge you extra for it, to boot. The only piece that comes in pre-assembled in a barebone setup that I would foresee giving even a neanderthal issue is the process of motherboard installation, which still isn't that hard, and let's face it -- you're not a neanderthal. ;p
I built my very first custom PC late last year and it really... really isn't difficult at all. If you ask me, it's kinda like Legos. I feel that's a fair assessment.
Ask the experts here for some basic tips. They even have videos on YouTube that show just how easy it is, if you want a preview.
the thing you have to remember is to discharge the static electricity from yourself before you start messing with the hardware. if you dont you can fry the hardware. (just a little tip if you build your own computer )