Sandy bridge is released!

Wow, I guess if i do upgrade i could get that.

Wait should i go with a I7 950 or a Sandy bridge?
 
Last edited:
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!

Oh, and make sure to tell us how it runs!
 
The price/performance, at least from what I can see on the boxes, really surprised me; I may sell my unlocked cpu and go for a 2600k instead.

(Yes, I was expecting them to be much higher priced initially).
 
All the just released CPUs have integrated GPU capabilities; that's nice, but (I'm pretty sure) most early adopters will go for discrete GPUs. I guess the HTPC crowd can be excited about that feature, but it seems kinda wasted?

The higher-end Sandy Bridges coming out later this year look more like what an upper echelon gamer would want in their rig - am I missing something in the integrated GPU feature? Maybe it does something/helps with something I'm missing even if you do run a discrete GPU?

Don't get me wrong - I've seen the charts for Sandy Bridge, and I see the vast improvements in what they can do. Just not sure what the deal is with the integrated graphics...
 
The integrated is more of an improvement for laptops and htpcs and stuff, yea its not really that geared towards gamers who want discrete GPU's
 
Wow, I guess if i do upgrade i could get that.

Wait should i go with a I7 950 or a Sandy bridge?

get 1155. 1366 is now a dead end.

All the just released CPUs have integrated GPU capabilities; that's nice, but (I'm pretty sure) most early adopters will go for discrete GPUs. I guess the HTPC crowd can be excited about that feature, but it seems kinda wasted?

The higher-end Sandy Bridges coming out later this year look more like what an upper echelon gamer would want in their rig - am I missing something in the integrated GPU feature? Maybe it does something/helps with something I'm missing even if you do run a discrete GPU?

Don't get me wrong - I've seen the charts for Sandy Bridge, and I see the vast improvements in what they can do. Just not sure what the deal is with the integrated graphics...

the igp is on the same die as the processor cores. It would be dumb for them to remove it on enthusiast parts as it does not negativly impact performance.

I didnt buy it for the igp though. I bought it for the awesomeness of the processor cores.

4.8ghz on air here i come
 
I'm not sure about you guys, but when I am not gaming, I wouldn't mind some onchip graphics. Would help with the electric bill.

Haven't read too much about the chip, but can you switch from discrete to onchip graphics like some of the laptops out now?
 
I'm not sure about you guys, but when I am not gaming, I wouldn't mind some onchip graphics. Would help with the electric bill.

Haven't read too much about the chip, but can you switch from discrete to onchip graphics like some of the laptops out now?

Nope. Although most modern cards have a 2d/idle mode. My idle clocks for my 6850 are 100MHz core and 300MHz on the memory. It uses barely any power. Probably ~100W for the whole system. I need to turn on SpeedStep for my CPU. I liek low/quiet idles. :p
 
Nope. Although most modern cards have a 2d/idle mode. My idle clocks for my 6850 are 100MHz core and 300MHz on the memory. It uses barely any power. Probably ~100W for the whole system. I need to turn on SpeedStep for my CPU. I liek low/quiet idles. :p

Lucid Logix (same guys that make fuzion bridge chips) are making another chip that lets you switch between the igp, and a discrete card.


also nVidia optimus
 
Lucid Logix (same guys that make fuzion bridge chips) are making another chip that lets you switch between the igp, and a discrete card.


also nVidia optimus

That sounds useful. I guess. It's a bit weird.

Isn't Optimus only in notebooks?
 
That sounds useful. I guess. It's a bit weird.

Isn't Optimus only in notebooks?

at the moment, yes it is only implemented in notebooks.

Mostly because desktop users don't care about battery life ;)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top