usb floppy drive for Windows 7 x64?

Prisoner416

EGO Zealot
=(e)=
Joined
Apr 17, 2009
Messages
1,699
Does anyone know of a USB floppy drive that is known to work with Windows 7? I have a bunch of old ones I need to pull data from.
 
Not sure if those exist.

Unrelated, you sig has been stumped! It doesn't know my OS! (Hint: it's ChromeOS)
 
1. install XP

2. use old floppy drive

3. copy files to flash drive

4. ???

5. maybe profit
 
1. install XP

2. use old floppy drive

3. copy files to flash drive

4. ???

5. maybe profit

that sounds like the easiest plan

Motherboards still work with floppy drives, but as for USB floppy drives, I think Windows 7 marks the end of legacy support for it. 1.44mb disks aren't even large enough to hold a small MP3, let alone any amount of data. It's time for them to take their place among a list of dead standards.
 
1. install XP

2. use old floppy drive

3. copy files to flash drive

4. ???

5. maybe profit

That would work if I still had an old floppy drive, then I'd just use the VirtualBox.

Haiku runs... well, like an OS. No problems so far, but it's only been a few days.
 
That would work if I still had an old floppy drive, then I'd just use the VirtualBox.

Haiku runs... well, like an OS. No problems so far, but it's only been a few days.

aren't you the guy that has acess to a bunch of old pcs?
 
That would work if I still had an old floppy drive, then I'd just use the VirtualBox.

Haiku runs... well, like an OS. No problems so far, but it's only been a few days.

I think I just one uped you.
Ubuntu 10.10. No biggie, right? But guess what machine it's on? Yeah, that's right. My CR-48.
 
Aren't you the guy that has access to a bunch of old pcs?

Parts, yes. I haven't actually taken a whole unit. I don't want to abuse their generosity.

They did have this "Generic USB FDD (UD-376)" but I can't find any drivers for it, XP or otherwise.

I'd rather avoid having to jam in a normal floppy drive if possible. It's a waste of space for the drive slot and for the system's overall cable/airflow.

Plus, I'm not the only one that needs it. My mother has boxes of floppies she needs to pull data from, so a USB is my best option.
 
dont jam it it........


just puut it in, pull data. take it out.


It could be a weekend project. or a family bonding activity
 

Latest posts

Back
Top