Building a new computer

anomaly

Forum Fiend
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
641
It's time for Bloodshot to build a new computer :w00t: I need some advice on my computer parts. I'm not too experienced on this area. I have researched quite a bit but I am feeling unsure of all the components regarding mobo's, PSU's etc. Some help would be greatly appreciated.


My total budget is around 10000SEK give and take. (amounts to about 1500USD).

-Intel Core i5 650 4MB 3.20GHz Socket 1156 Link
-Antec P183 Super MidiTower, ATX Link
-Western Digital Caviar 160GB 7200rpm 8MB Internal hard drive Link
(I have an external where I keep everything else, I only need this one for OS)
-BenQ 22'' V2220 1080p, LED, DSUB/DVI Link
-Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 SE (288 pipes) 1GBG DDR5, (730Mhz Link
-Asus Xonar D1 Link

If you have any suggestions to what I've picked, make them. I'd like this to be as cheap as possible without performance loss. Right now it amounts to 7229 SEK, leaving 2700SEK to un-chosen parts.
-RAM memory. This or This?
-Motherboard, I really have no clue!
-Cooling, I really have no clue!
-Networkcard, no idea


Note: I will be using this computer to play fairly demanding games such as Fallout 3, Total War series, TES:IV on high graphics settings.

Thanks for any help, eGO :thumbup:
 
I assume you'll be ordering from datorbutiken? That's handy information just because prices across the pond don't always match straight conversion.

First things off, the i5-650 is a dual-core. I don't know if you're aware of that, but if you're planning on future-proofing I would suggest a quad-core. The i5-750/760 would be good. Even though the clock is slower than the 650 both of those processors are more powerful. The new Sandy Bridge processors/motherboards are out, but I don't know too much about them. They might be out of your price range/not worth it for what you're doing.

The GTX 460 is a very nice card, and will definitely suit you well for all the games you're playing and even more demanding games down the road.

As for RAM, the brand isn't too terribly important as long as you make sure it's not OCZ. You want to make sure that you're buying DDR3 and that the clock speeds aren't lower than what your motherboard supports. In reality, more than 4GB doesn't really net you that much benefit unless you're doing something like compiling videos. Two sticks of 2GB will work in almost any motherboard, and if you go for more it's just another thing that you have to make sure matches your motherboard.

The most important thing about your motherboard is that it matches your processor socket. If you buy the i5-650 you need to get a motherboard with an LGA 1156 socket. It needs to have at least one PCI-e slot since you have a GTX 460. If you plan on doing more later, then you want to have more PCI-e slots.

For sound cards, I don't know why you'd need them unless you're an audiophile and you already know more about it than me. They're not really necessary. I don't have one in my computer and it's fine. I also don't have a networking card. Just plug the ethernet jack straight into the motherboard. If you want wireless, you'll probably need a card of some kind. Not too sure though.

For cooling, unless you're seriously into overclocking, the stock coolers will do you justice. No need to put more money into it.
 
Last edited:
I doubt you will need to go any higher than 6 gig max.
As for a mobo i would go for an ASUS Rampage III Extreme or an evga classified mobo :)

the gtx 460 is an excellent card AND is not as pricey as others

I'm not too sure on sound cards but I use a creative sound blaster x-fi fatal1ty sound card...

Also I would look into a SSD (solid state drive) rather than Western Digital Caviar 160GB. Seeing as ur only gonna be running ur OS.
 
Last edited:
Ok some things to think about.

-1155 is about the same cost as a rather decent 1366 mobo and cpu. But it runs alot cooler and overclocks great.

-1155 and 1156 runs on dual channel Ram setups. If you go dual channel get 8GB 2X4GB, with a minimum of 1366mhz as a clock. (If 1366, 6GB or better yet 12GB)

-No dual core setups, Quad core is a minimum.

-GPU get a 560 GTX. they take alot less power wise for consumption. They also cant be to far off for release. The 400 Series are power pigs.

-If you get a decent Mobo, dont bother with a soundcard. The only reason I have one is for the fact that I have an awesome headset with large jacks, made for the card. Most Mobo's have comparable onboard sound quality. Most audio junkies will tell you that it is noticable, but unless you have it on 24/7 with top of the line speakers and a headset you wont be able to appreciate it worth its value. (If you go against my advice on the soundcard, Creative Labs is junk, dont ever buy.)

-SSD/HDD If you feel an SSD is in the budget then go for it, otherwise get some sizable HDD's so that way back ups can be made. If you get a SSD always leave a Full Quarter of its available space open at all times. It helps make sure that the drive lasts to the longest of potential times. Also never, never defrag a SSD. Never. The by accident once or twice is fine. But aim for never. HDD wise 1TB+ is cheap. dont mess around with much lower than that unless its a high speed or SSD

If you want help with the build, send me a message and Ill see how I can help you.

Yoyort
 
That motherboard will work, but I don't really know enough about boards to tell you how good it is. I know I'm running on the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro on the suggestion of Phobus :P, and it works great. I just don't know anything about other boards.

The RAM you picked out is good.

For the 2.5" drives you would want to check out the case first. Some cases (like mine) only have 3.5" drive slots but have a built-in method for getting 2.5" drives to fit. If your case doesn't have it, then from what it looks like that tool should work.

E: I searched the website he's been linking and it looks like they don't have any 1155 socket processors.
 
Last edited:
why don't you go with a 2500K, and something like a P67A-UD3R/P?
 
Yeah, it's joking. Especially considering he gave his budget in SEK which is Swedish and not Norwegian despite both being Kroner. Norwegia just sounds cooler than Scandinavia.

Still not sure if he even has access to Sandy Bridge. =/
 
why don't you go with a 2500K, and something like a P67A-UD3R/P?

Those 2 names tell me nothing, lol! I don't have the budget for new, high-end cards anyways. What's the main difference between a sandy bridge and the one I found? What does a good motherboard do better then an ok mobo.
 
motherboard is ehh, more of overclocking and features etc....i mean its not a must to get the best

as for sandy bridge CPU, its just the performance it brings. They overclock well and at least its 4 cores and a new architecture. Better to get one than buy one thats already being discontinued
 
Reflex was talking about the i5 2500k. It's a new "Sandy Bridge" code name processor that just got released maybe a week ago here in the states. I looked for it on your website but couldn't find it. The only reason to get a 2500k over any of the other i5 SB is for OC'ing since the other ones can't really do much there. Still, in the States anyways, you could get a new SB i5 for the same as the i5 750 that would well outperform it.
 
I don't think the Sandy Bridge has been released here. Still, I'll look around and maybe order it from the states if it's not too pricy. I don't think I'll overclock it right from the start, so would it be worth getting it?

All in all, if someone could check whether this complete build will function that'd be awesome :thumbup:
 
Last edited:
The build is the

P7P55D
i5 750
Corsair XMS3
and then all the stuff in the first post


then it is pretty good
 
The Corsair Ram he chose was triple channel and dual channel. The Dominator Ram is the best bet as the triple channel wont work right.
 
UPDATE:

I've revised my specs and I need some help with PSU's as well as cases.
My site

Intel i5 2500k. I plan on OC'ing this to 4GHz.
GTX460 1GB (I will stick around and check out what's the deal with the GTX560)
Corsair 2x2048 at 1333MHz XMS3
Asrock P67 Extreme4 mobo
Corsair 60gb ssd force series at 285mbs read and 275mbs write
BenQ 21.5" monitor
Dlink DWL G510

buildfn.png


I have 1500kr left for my case and my PSU.

I prefer a cool and quiet case. If only one is possible for my budget, go with cooling. I'm not caring too much about looks.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top