IPS Monitors

Ph?bus

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
4,155
Does anyone here have them? I'll be getting an U2211h next Monday, and I'm excited. lol.
 
Im pretty sure there aren't many IPS tv's if any. IPS is pretty expensive and usually on high end monitors. I know the dell ones that have it are expensive
 
Im pretty sure there aren't many IPS tv's if any. IPS is pretty expensive and usually on high end monitors. I know the dell ones that have it are expensive

actually most all LCD TVs are IPS.

Strange really, but i guess TN gets hard to manufacture when it is that big.

Probably the same reason that all 30" PC monitors are IPS
 
=/ the iphone 4 retina display is IPS lol.......

Idk, i thought IPS was just expensive. There are like 28" monitors that are like $300 then 30" IPS going into the $1,000's
 
they are expensive, but the pixel count has more to do with price than size.

normal desktop monitors have the same amount of pixels as a $1500 TV
 
=/ the iphone 4 retina display is IPS lol.......

Idk, i thought IPS was just expensive. There are like 28" monitors that are like $300 then 30" IPS going into the $1,000's

You were a little off on that one:

Dell UltraSharp U2711: $1099

The 30" version is $1500.


IPS panels have far more accurate color reproduction than TN panels. They are more suited for professional work that requires the colors to be precise. TN panels are more suitable to gaming due to their better response times (Samsung TN panels are now at 1ms)

Take your pick, but IPS panels are worth the money. It's evident in mobile devices like the Iphone 4 and eReaders like the Nook color.
 
You were a little off on that one:

Dell UltraSharp U2711: $1099

The 30" version is $1500.


IPS panels have far more accurate color reproduction than TN panels. They are more suited for professional work that requires the colors to be precise. TN panels are more suitable to gaming due to their better response times (Samsung TN panels are now at 1ms)

Take your pick, but IPS panels are worth the money. It's evident in mobile devices like the Iphone 4 and eReaders like the Nook color.

if you can honestly say that you notice the difference between 8ms, and 5/2/1ms, then you deserve all the internet cookies
 
if you can honestly say that you notice the difference between 8ms, and 5/2/1ms, then you deserve all the internet cookies

The only place that you will notice the difference is in gaming where the frame rate is 60 FPS or more. Otherwise, you're right. You won't notice the difference.
 
orly?

What does frame rate have anything to do with how fast the monitor can change colors?
 
Just out of curiosity I had to look into actual numbers here. Looks like 60 fps means each frame takes ~16ms. The best part about it is in the field of electronics, this is a unit of time called a jiffy. That's right. You're getting 1 frame per jiffy.
 
most LCD monitors are 60hz (times monitor refreshes per second), so the most it can ever display is 60FPs
 
orly?

What does frame rate have anything to do with how fast the monitor can change colors?

The response time is the time it takes for colors to respond and change on each pixel. Longer response times produce "ghosting" which creates a blurry picture on monitors with higher response times (8ms or more is the most noticeable).

Therefore, on a game running @ 60FPS constantly, you're getting a maximum of 480ms worth of changing pixels per second. (1000ms in a second) That's a lot of ghosting, and that's going to cause a slightly blurry picture in full motion. If it were only 30 FPS, the effect wouldn't really be felt, as there's plenty of time in between each frame for each pixel to fully change.

That's why I said what I did.
 
Last edited:
The only place that you will notice the difference is in gaming where the frame rate is 60 FPS or more. Otherwise, you're right. You won't notice the difference.

I played some Black Ops, and I didn't notice a difference. I can notice a lot about video that most others wouldn't, so that's saying something.

Just out of curiosity I had to look into actual numbers here. Looks like 60 fps means each frame takes ~16ms. The best part about it is in the field of electronics, this is a unit of time called a jiffy. That's right. You're getting 1 frame per jiffy.

Lol. I laughed.



So I got some surprised mail, and got it yesterday. I had class in the afternoon/evening so I couldn't get on much. So here is a video of it. Tell me what you think. ^_^

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVjV6VDaMgs[/ame]
 

Latest posts

Back
Top