itunes and linux

The Slayer

EGO Zealot
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
1,948
hey guys

I have a linux pc at home and i was wondering if i can get itunes on it so i can listen to my music and sync my ipod with it. If it is on linux, does it have any advantages. I tried finding on google, but i did not find anything relevant. I think it works, because mac is based on unix. Can anybody give me a clear answer?

Thanks in advance

Signed, the slayer
 
I use windows when I need iTunes. Although, you could use WINE to make it work. Here is a how-to for ubuntu. WINE will work with any distribution, but it can be a pain sometimes.
 
WINE is a Windows Emulator. It allows you to run windows applications in a linux or unix enviornment. If you don't have/want windows it can be advantageous. I prefer not to mess with WINE, as it can be frustrating, and just dual boot (linux/windows) instead.

By the way, you can sync your ipod with many different applications. Apps that are made for linux(see here). Although, you may not be able to sync it with iTunes again without deleting its content after syncing with another music program(not sure?).
 
Last edited:
WINE is a Windows Emulator. It allows you to run windows applications in a linux or unix enviornment. If you don't have/want windows it can be advantageous. I prefer not to mess with WINE, as it can be frustrating, and just dual boot (linux/windows) instead.

By the way, you can sync your ipod with many different applications. Apps that are made for linux(see here). Although, you may not be able to sync it with iTunes again without deleting its content after syncing with another music program(not sure?).

Wine is not an emulator. WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's a compatibility layer.
 
so are there any advantages ? I installed wine + itunes, and i can't seem to remove itunes, even tough i did remove wine. It still is there and i'm so angry right now i trew a piece of candy to a friggen pigeon (not the linux messenger)
 
Well, I have a little experience with Ubuntu 10.10 and I remember some of the terminal commands to get certain things.

First, you'll need to get WINE.

Open your terminal and type these into the terminal, one after the other.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.3

After that's done, click here and download iTunes.

Open up the installer and WINE will run it like it would on Windows.

The only thing I've noticed about WINE is that if you use Steam or Xfire on it, it lags quite a lot.

*EDIT* I probably should've read the other posts first... Lol.

You can remove iTunes, but it's shortcuts seem to stay in the WINE menus.
 
Wine is not an emulator. WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's a compatibility layer.

Hate to derail, but I can't help myself. Wine is not an emulator. But you're using the acronym inside the acronym! Wine is not an emulator -> Wine is not an emulator is not an emulator etc. Sounds like they just made a recursive loop. Nerd jokes. lol
 
Hate to derail, but I can't help myself. Wine is not an emulator. But you're using the acronym inside the acronym! Wine is not an emulator -> Wine is not an emulator is not an emulator etc. Sounds like they just made a recursive loop. Nerd jokes. lol

Yeah, well, I got in a debate with the Used Car Salesman type of Linux fanboy, and we were talking about Wine, and I said that it sucks, and it was an emulator or something, blah blah blah, and he was like "IMA WINDOWS NAZI LINUX IS BEST LULZ" and it was pretty annoying.

He was such a fanboy that he didn't even realize that I agreed with him that Linux is better than Windows in most aspects. It just can't game.

/Thread derailing over
 

Latest posts

Back
Top