+1 to eVGA

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
So I just got home & picked up my replacement card from my dads place (i knew my dad would be available to pick it up so i asked him to pick it up for me). Well I opened up the box & checked out the part #, to make sure that they matched. Well they didnt, so i got a lil curious about that. I pulled the recycled carton out of the white box & what do i find, but a GeForce GTS 450. Talk about a massive upgrade! I have been talking about getting a GTX 460 for maybe a month now. The heck w/ that now! I done just saved myself around $200. Now all I gotta work on is upgrading my cpu, memory & mobo. I will definitely continue to get products from them because of this massive miracle.

For those of you who didnt know, I was having whining sounds come from my GeForce 9800GT. I thought it was possible heat related issue, so I sent it into them to get it checked out (I signed up my card for their lifetime warranty & im glad I did).
 
Awesome, and that is just the kind of reason that I continue to use EVGA products. It's not that I've got a problem with other manufacturer's products, it's just that EVGA has never given me a good reason to wander.
 
Pretty cool.

They've been doing this for a while now. Before, they were trading out the 9800gt's for the GTS 250's. The 9800GX2's for a GTX 275, and now a 275 for a 460 and so on (that's all I have had experience with). It's because they don't carry the older cards anymore.
 
im just curious, what do u 2 guys have? shadows, im sure you have somethin like gtx 460 or 475 (just a guess anyways).
 
They did the same thing for me.

When my 8800 GTX went out after 2 years, I RMA'd it, and they sent me back a 9800 GTX+.

If Nvidia had gotten Fermi right, I'd still be using their cards.
 
100 was way messed up.

104 still wasn't great, they never quite were able to get one with all clusters unlocked

110 is still hot.

114 seems to be the best yet
 
100 was way messed up.

104 still wasn't great, they never quite were able to get one with all clusters unlocked

110 is still hot.

114 seems to be the best yet

I forgot all about the 560 :mellow:

At least they're progressing. It's nice to see it's more powerful, and cooler than the 460.
 
Last edited:
What's wrong with it?

GF100 wasn't the greatest, but now GF104 and 110 are out and they're a lot better.

I have a GTX 275, by the way.

The problem is that when I bought my Hd 5870, the GTX 480 wasn't out. Even then, that GTX 480 put out so much heat and used so much power that I didn't want it in my computer. I wanted a new video card, and the HD 5870 was the best at the time I bought it.

The GTX 580 is much much better, and the GTX 560 is really good.
 
The problem is that when I bought my Hd 5870, the GTX 480 wasn't out. Even then, that GTX 480 put out so much heat and used so much power that I didn't want it in my computer. I wanted a new video card, and the HD 5870 was the best at the time I bought it.

The GTX 580 is much much better, and the GTX 560 is really good.

but the 580 produces the same amount of heat, and uses more power......


does not compute
 
GTX 580 in real world performance consumes less power than 480 and is cooler as well.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4135/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-ti-upsetting-the-250-market/16

In comparison to AMD, real world performance once again, it consumes slightly more than the 6970 yet it is more powerful so that makes sense. Temperature wise, it is right on par with the 6970 yet again, even though it consumes more power and is a faster card. Do not hate on Nvidia, props where props are deserved.

Another site has is significantly cooler than the 6970 and 6950:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-6950-6970-review/12

As well as again consuming a little more power:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-6950-6970-review/11
 
Last edited:
coretemps != heat produced

If i put dry ice on my 480, and it ran at -70, does that mean that it produces less heat? no.
 
It uses 23 watts less, why would it produce more heat?

didn't say it would (well i did,but that is a different story)

i would say that the 480 and 580 are pretty close.

@FH my favorite card is either 3870x2 or 3850
 
Back
Top