Need feedback on possible new rig.

xosniper

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
3,340
I'm thinking about building a new rig. I have held on to my x6800 to long and it's time to turn that comp into a arm rest.

It will mainly be used for gaming, with the occasional checking of the email...

here is what I'm looking at so far. All the feedback and opinions are wanted!!!!



Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor


ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard


CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card


I will also be looking for a nice case, heat sink, and power supply.


I chose that i5 because it was rated well for the money compared to the more expensive ones. The GPU because I like the 460's. The ram because I have always used Corsair.

I am also thinking about a 2nd 460, but not sure.


FEEDBACK and "ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!" comments welcome.
 
Last edited:
I like the choice of processor, but that mobo won't go with it. You will need an lga 1155 one for the cpu you've chosen. As for graphics, gtx 460 is weak. I would go with a 560 or a 6950 over 2 460s leaving yourself room to upgrade in the future. Also, why do you want 2133 ram? Any specific reason? I don't think that will make much real world difference beyond benchmark software. Stuff is pretty expensive as well. I would rather go for 2x4gb 1600 or such. Just my two cents though.

As for a nice psu, I love the strider and corsair 80 plus silver...750w would be a good size psu for futureproofing. 80 plus gold corsair or seasonic are another option though you will pay for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...06150&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-35-106-150-_-Product

That is a great cpu cooler that provides performance of coolers $20 more.

Case, there are many great options out there. A lot of that is personal preference. Any idea how much you would like to spend on it?
 
Last edited:
haha, nice catch. I pasted the wrong one. UPDATED with the one I was looking at.

I had no reason to chose that RAM. I just picked it because it looked beastly.
 
Last edited:
dang, I noticed that also. I def want that proc. I'll have to get the correct mobo from somewhere else.


and sorry Mr. game, lol. I'm looking at 800+ for a power supply most likely.
 
I do not like bundled case/psus...psu wise, there really isnt a need for an 800+ psu unless your doing 2 580s. 750w is even overkill, but you will be able to use it down the road still. It is up to you, but it is just more money for something you probably will not need.

As for the ram, I linked to cheaper ram with better timings.

And as game and I already said, price limit on the case? Or overall budget as well?
 
case can be under $150 i guess. Didn't really have a budget, was just trying to get the best deal for the money without overkill. Even though my first pick of ram and PS were over kill, lol.
 
More into GPU, less into CPU.
Games won't become more CPU dependent for a while. So get a beefy GPU because that's what games need right now.

I'll get a full list once I get back to my main computer.
What's your overall budget?
 
Where is this mythical MIVF? I really wanna see it.

Dominator GTs are really really really overpriced for what they are. (145$ for 4GB 2133 9-10-8-27 O__O??!!!!). You can get much better ram for that money.
RipJawsX (1600 6-8-6-24)
Kingston HyperX T1 (2133 9-10(?)-9-27(?))
Patriot Viper (2000 9-10-9-27)
RipJaws X (1866 8-9-8-24)

All of which are better and cheaper than dominator GTs.

Case, really just get what you think looks good.

Power supply, antec TruePower new 650 is a great psu for the money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021&Tpk=truepower 650w
Will run 2 460s just fine.

Heatsink really depends on what you want to spend.
 
I do not like bundled case/psus...psu wise, there really isnt a need for an 800+ psu unless your doing 2 580s. 750w is even overkill, but you will be able to use it down the road still. It is up to you, but it is just more money for something you probably will not need.

As for the ram, I linked to cheaper ram with better timings.

And as game and I already said, price limit on the case? Or overall budget as well?

Well, Thermaltake makes great PSU's, so it's not like one of those Apex/Apevia's :)

A great reference for PSU calculation and FAQ:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=287485

The RAM I linked has lower heatsinks, so any CPU heatsink will not have a problem when mounting (I like future-proofing a lot).

(Random thought - Why does spell check say heatsink isn't correct?)
 
Budget we will say....................under $1200???????????????????????


sounds good.
 
Do you use/ honestly plan to use USB3/SATA6?

prob not.


Things I do on a computer:

1. Games
2. Check email
3. buy stuff online sometimes (usually games and or computer stuff)
4. Listen to music
5. Use computer to watch movies on TV
6. Minecraft
 
Honestly, the only reason to go with the 2500k is if he wants to OC. If you're not interested in that, a cheaper SB-i5 would work just fine.

I would also suggest not buying into 4xx cards unless it's for budget purposes. If you are looking at budget cards, 460 1GB is one of the best right with 68xx.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top