Need feedback on possible new rig.

The problem with fanboyism is it encourages people to buy inferior products or spend more for the same performance solely because of brand name. When I was building my rig last December, the 6850 was $30 cheaper than the 1GB 460, performs better and runs cooler and quieter.

As for the drivers, I'm with reflex. I haven't had any driver problems to date (and I hope I haven't jinxed it). You really run into issues once you start CF and multi-screen setup.

The thing about SLI/CF versus one card is pretty complicated. Some people claim that micro-stuttering and games that won't be supported means it's worthless. You'll also most likely have to buy a better PSU, mobo and possibly case. You will still see a difference though. CF 6850s scale at about 80-90%. That means adding that second card yields almost double the increase (which is pretty damn good).

And, if you are looking into SLI/CF, I would suggest buying lower-end new cards instead of older high-end cards. Even though right now 2x4870s is technically better than a 560, the 560 supports DX11 and has great tessellation.

+1

I was an Nvidia "fanboy" for a while until getting more into computers and learning about the differences.

I love Nvidia for its speed and performance.
I love ATI/AMD for its low power consumption, stable frame rates and price.

I can't afford Nvidia, so ATI/AMD is for me.
 
Wait, what is wrong with fanboyism if I have never had a problem with the brands? or did you mean something else.

I'm always scared to try ATI cards because of the driver troubles I always hear about.

Also another question. Why would I want to run 2 cards instead of 1. Would 2 slightly older beastly cards do anything more fancy than 1 new beastly card? Or would I just be doing it to heat my room and tell my friends.

Fanboyism;
It gets you your favorite things. But, it keeps you from getting better favorite things.

ATI's drivers aren't too bad if you're just using a single card, or multiple monitors.

It depends entirely on the cards. But most times, it's better to go with a single powerful card as apposed to two, because not every game takes advantage of multi-GPU set ups.
 
A few reviews I have read, puts some of the ATI cards a better buy for the money than the comparable NVIDIA cards.

Maybe it's time I stop being a fanboy and try ATI.

BUT I'M STILL USING COSAIR AND NO-ONE CAN STOP ME!!!! lol.

I have always been scared of running 2 cards, not sure why. Always felt buying the single better card would be easier.

I plan on playing BF3 when it comes out. I want to be set up to run it in beastly beasterson mode.


Man, I have some deciding to do. Maybe I'll do some kind of "Build xo a sweet rig under X price and he buys you a game of your choice" contest or something.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 
Last edited:
ugh corsair.....

Please tell me it is just a PSU thing, please tell me you don't like their ram...
 
There is nothing wrong with corsair ram. That is not to say you have to buy their ram, but I have always had good experiences with them.
 
ugh corsair.....

Please tell me it is just a PSU thing, please tell me you don't like their ram...

What is wrong with their ram?

(Please don't tell me it's some benching thing, as that is <1% of computer users = invalid)
(Or something about how they don't have 1866mhz 6-8-6-20 ram like super talent)
 
ugh corsair.....

Please tell me it is just a PSU thing, please tell me you don't like their ram...

I like their ram. It has always worked and it actually has increased my gaming skill by 18 points.
 
most all of corsair ram is based off of the same PSC chips as cheaper stuff like g.skill or others.

Basically, it is overpriced.

Nothing wrong with it, it just isn't worth the price premium

Now they do have the occasional oddball kit that will use something special like Hypers or D9s
(GTX2/3/4 anyone?)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top