Issues with computer shutting off suddenly.

Annihilator

Poster Extraordinaire
=(e)=
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
3,034
So this has just started happening, never had any problems before. I built this computer about a little more than two years ago.

Now all of a sudden, the computer will just shut off automatically. No restart or nothing, just shut off, I can turn it back on but it shuts off again. Now to me it seems like its overheating, but I check processor temps, and they are running normal. Today when I decided to tear into it, it would only turn on for 1 sec and shut off, took it apart and blew out the processor heatsink, reseated it and hooked it all back up. At first it did the same thing, then finally turned on but had no video, did a restart. Got video and so far (15 mins on) I have had no problems.

In the process of downloading AVG hoping maybe I picked up a virus or something.

Any other ideas on what it may be?
 
i have had something simular to this before once. It was a programm that i installed that made it shut off. If you have installed a new program it could be the cause.
It could also be a virus.

-Ghost
 
Well, if your computer turns on, and suddenly turns off before loading into Windows, I doubt it's a virus. Unless you managed to catch a boot sector, MBR, or motherboard virus.

Does your computer make any noise when it turns off? Like a beep or the fans spin really high or something similar?

Edit: By loading into Windows, I mean, you see the Windows <Insert OS here> emblem, not actually signed into your user account.
 
Last edited:
My brother had this issue where the power button was damaged and it would cause the computer to randomly shut off. He fixed it by moving it to the Restart button and it is working fine now.

It might be this. I don't know, just giving some ideas.
 
Sounds like your PSU is dieing. I'd have it checked with a PSU tester.

If it doesn't even post before turning off, then it's not a Virus.

Also, it could be that your Mobo has gone bad, but I'd rule out RAM before replacing your Mobo.
 
well it finally shut off again. As soon as i started to play day of defeat source. Since then i cannot get it to stay on for more than 5secs. I am having to send this via my ps3. I get no beeps or error codes, i have switched out the memory and alternated it, same problem. Even moved my video card to another slot. Reseated CPU fan and applied new grease. I am running out of ideas here as to why this is doing this.
 
Hm..That game isn't very stressful either.
But, if it shuts off during a game..Then..

Do you have a spare video card you can try out?
 
well it finally shut off again. As soon as i started to play day of defeat source. Since then i cannot get it to stay on for more than 5secs. I am having to send this via my ps3. I get no beeps or error codes, i have switched out the memory and alternated it, same problem. Even moved my video card to another slot. Reseated CPU fan and applied new grease. I am running out of ideas here as to why this is doing this.

If it's shutting down when you start a game, then I'm about 90% sure it's the PSU. At least from the information given, it sounds like a failed Power Supply.
 
And I know this sounds silly, but check your connections.

Last year, i thought for SURE I must have a bad power supply. I showed symptoms very similar to yours. Turned out the power connecting to the mb had, over time, pulled out slightly. It was enough of a connection to power up, but once I started anything 'stressful', it would die.
 
I have taken the pc apart twice now. Meaning I have removed mobo twice so its not connection. I got a PCU on order, so once it comes in I will post results.
 
Ok, new PCU is installed, started right up no problems. Only been about 10 mins though, time will tell, will try loading up a game here as soon as AVG is done running.
 
Another possible check, if all these other options have been checked and you're still having problems, check your CPU overtemp settings, and check your CPU temps. Unlikely at idle temps to be an issue, but I had it happen a couple of years ago.
 
Sorry, after two days now I have had zero shutdowns. Problem is solved, thanks guys for your help.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top