Motorola Xoom

Snipeye

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
4,867
Does anyone have this new tablet? I'm giving it a test run, having gotten a hold of the 3G+WiFi version. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to sync my music and videos onto it. Problem is that I use Zune Marketplace, and not iTunes. And I use the Zune Pass (unlimited downloads for $15/mo). So a lot of songs are DRM-equipped. Has anyone found a way that I can sync those songs, and if my subscription expires, I cannot play it (like it does on my Zune player?) Video wise, it looks like the problem there is that I need to transcode it into MPEG-4 or one of the video codes it recognizes.

If anyone's wondering, the camera(s) work great. The front 5 megapixel cam is great for taking pictures, and taking 730p video. Built in mic does a fairly good job at picking up voice and sounds.

Picture quality looks great to me, comparable, if not better, than the iPad. I think most reviewers said they're about the same. Either way, it looks fine to me. Crisp, bright, and clear.

Sound quality is surprisingly alright. Though the placement is a confusion (two speakers in the rear, facing AWAY), they actually have two smaller speakers built for each rear speaker. So the iPad has like 1watt speaker, the Xoom has 4x2watt speakers. Testing the sound on the pre-installed music, as well as youtube videos, and music apps, they're comparable to what you may get on a laptop. Using earbuds, the sound comes in crisp and clear, even at the high volumes (little sound distortion).

Issues: The software. Honeycomb is still maturing for it, and I think by summer, it will begin to hit full stride. The 4G LTE from Verizon should be available by then, as well as Flash 10.2. In at least one case, there's an app that acts as a work-around, so you can actually view/play flash videos, even though it's not "officially" installed on the Xoom.

It is pricey. The version I got is $800 unsubsidized, $600 with a 2 yr contract from Verizon for the 3G data plan. Good news is that it's not as bad as you may think but it can still be pricey. Those of who work for companies usually are able to get a corporate discount from Verizon. The one for me would be 19% off per month, in addition for any accessories I buy. So in effect, my phone txt & data plan as gone up about $25/mo.

I'll let you know of anything else I discovered while testing this tablet out.
 
Last edited:
I was thinking about getting the Motorola Atrix, but im gonna wait a few months until the unsubsidized ones become dirt cheap.

They will soon be going for $350 or something as it always happens.

The Xoom is great, they just released Tegra zone so go download that.

Honeycomb looks awesome and yea it needs to mature a bit but it will be amazing.

Man i want the Dual-core goodiness..............but my Galaxy S is still blazingly fast and the GPU is still the best/one of the best in a mobile device.

I was thinking about getting a Xoom but i would only get the Wifi version since i have AT&T and if anything, i could just tether data to it free from my Galaxy S.
 
I saw the Galaxy S PewPew and that is one awesome piece of tech! I actually took the Xoom into class with me last night, and it was an object of discussion, and in some cases, reverence (Oooooooo! It actually has a camera! My iPad doesn't have that... ;-( ) I'll look up the Tegra Zone and see what that offers.

Something I forgot to note: Flash and youtube videos aren't as data consuming as you may think. I was actually looking over how much data is used for videos, and the rep was explaining that one of the nice changes with honeycomb, and google's youtube app for it, is that it's more efficient and doesn't require as much data. I'll be sure to test this for the next month as I watch youtube, and do download a variety of apps to use (facebook, messenger, finance apps, and some games).

(Edit: I just checked my data usage (Verizon has an app for your account so you you easily check it) and it appears that I have used already 200MB the first day out of 3GB for the month. Not sure if its because of all the youtube videos, or because I'm downloading so many apps over 3G (didn't connect to a WiFi spot till I got home), but at that rate, Ill exceed my 3GB plan in 2 weeks. With WiFi, it does look it saves any passwords and WiFi spots that I prefer to log in over so you don't always have to type in the password and manually connect.)

Speaking of games, just wanted to say, Angry Birds looks so freaky amazing on this. And it's unbelievably LOUD when you max the sound. Who knew those birds can chirp so much and so loud?!
 
Last edited:
You can't play DRM music sadly, but if you want to put non-drm music on it, you can put directly to the SD card or to the internal memory by placing the music in the media/music folder on it. At leasts thats how my Galaxy works. I have had this galaxy for about 1-2 months, seeing how it worked compared to my iPad (A gift), and as far as the experience the iPad seems to be a lot sleeker and smoother. However the galaxy works well for the price. As far as the camera issue, I don't think its a big problem at least for me. I don't use my webcam on my laptop, the camera on my phone, or the camera on the galaxy. I have used them obviously but not to the extent where I would die without them, I rather use my nikon d80 or 5000.

One serious flaw, not only limited to the xoom, but all android devices, is the lack of a proxy system in the network settings. While at school (I go to the Naval Academy, but most universities, and my high school use proxy servers) I cannot use the network because of the lack of proxy. However my iPad can, so I hop android catches up.

-Oprah
 
Last edited:
I Oprah, I was told of a work around when using DRM music. Not an official method by Google or Moto, but hopefully it'll work. I'll try it when I get home and post the results. Btw, I'm actually typing this on the xoom, and it's a lot easier than a smartphone.
 
I Oprah, I was told of a work around when using DRM music. Not an official method by Google or Moto, but hopefully it'll work. I'll try it when I get home and post the results. Btw, I'm actually typing this on the xoom, and it's a lot easier than a smartphone.

Yeah the touch screen isn't as hard as you think it would be to type on, and because of the size it makes it easier than a smartphone.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top