As for Apple support, they are hit and miss IMO.
My wife uses a Mac for her work. About 3 years ago she got a new Macbook Pro. We first tried the mac transfer wizard but is sucked miserably. Likely because her old mac was a PPC model and the new one was Intel. So I figured it would be easier to just blow it away and start over. At the time the OSX came on 2 disks. Upon loading the second disk the install failed. The disk did not look damaged but it would not work.
I called tech support (keep in mind at this point the notebook was all of 5 hours old). Tech support said flat out they dont replace bad media. My only recourse would be to buy a new full copy of Mac OSX. BS!
The next day I took it to an Apple store. They confirmed they could not replace the media. But they reloaded the OS in about 10 minutes while I waited.
I then found a friend with good media and burned a copy for myself just in case.
Now fast forward 3 years. Just got a new mac for my wife. I took her old one (for iOS development). A couple weeks ago it stops working. No post, no video, nothing. Call support. They say they cant do anything and recommend taking it to an apple store. So I take it in. They confirm it seems to be dead, and out of warranty. But it gets flagged that there was an issue with the Graphics card on this model sometimes. Not a formal recall, but they replaced the system board out of warranty for free anyhow. Now it is good as new.
My wife uses a Mac for her work. About 3 years ago she got a new Macbook Pro. We first tried the mac transfer wizard but is sucked miserably. Likely because her old mac was a PPC model and the new one was Intel. So I figured it would be easier to just blow it away and start over. At the time the OSX came on 2 disks. Upon loading the second disk the install failed. The disk did not look damaged but it would not work.
I called tech support (keep in mind at this point the notebook was all of 5 hours old). Tech support said flat out they dont replace bad media. My only recourse would be to buy a new full copy of Mac OSX. BS!
The next day I took it to an Apple store. They confirmed they could not replace the media. But they reloaded the OS in about 10 minutes while I waited.
I then found a friend with good media and burned a copy for myself just in case.
Now fast forward 3 years. Just got a new mac for my wife. I took her old one (for iOS development). A couple weeks ago it stops working. No post, no video, nothing. Call support. They say they cant do anything and recommend taking it to an apple store. So I take it in. They confirm it seems to be dead, and out of warranty. But it gets flagged that there was an issue with the Graphics card on this model sometimes. Not a formal recall, but they replaced the system board out of warranty for free anyhow. Now it is good as new.




