So I work for an IT security company...

ronpaul

EGO Zealot
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
1,840
Doing network threat analysis for incident responses, etc. Anyways, we monitor network traffic looking for evil, and we got a hit on a suspicious Executable file at a client site... I pulled the captured file and ran some strings on it, this is what I found....

CompanyName
Valve Corporation
LegalCopyright
Copyright 2000-2003 Valve Corporation All rights reserved.
ProductName
Steam
ProductVersion
1.0.0.0

This was not actually the Steam installer, just using strings from that installer. This was fakealert family of mass malware. Anyways, just thought it was interesting.
 
Last edited:
Wow.
Good catch.

Do you still happen to have the file by any chance?
 
hmmm well thats an old one as well because with software copyrights don't you have to update it as u update the software? i could be wrong but i would figured steam would have a 2011 copy right now
 
Yeah, my parents managed to get a trojan a week or two ago, and in the task manager one of the .exes was listed as steam.exe. Except we don't have Steam run automatically and it wasn't running at the time, so that little ruse failed :P
 
haha yeah, poor man's masquerade but didn't run our little gambit :) I still have the file and ran it on a malware VM, definitely fake alert family, "Total XP Security" fake anti-virus.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top