Very silly question

RustyPwns!

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
1,097
Does encrypting your wireless network slow down the interwebz?

I've had zero problems with my wireless internet (which is very fast may I add)

I've been using WPA2 Personal for a year or two but I'm thinking of encrypting it with WEP. Yes I know it's a downgrade in security but my neighborhood is full with old people who still use dial up. Reason why I want to change it is because my nintendo ds can only pick up WEP unless I pick up an expensive adapter and I want to play pokemon black online. Does WEP encryption or any encryption for that matter slow down the internet?
 
I would prefer feedback from the rest of the community as well but what you said was logical. Thank you very much phobus!
 
I get this message when I change WPA2 to WEP on my linksys wireless n router

"WARNING: Your Wireless-N devices will only operate at Wireless-A data rates with the encryption type you have chosen. Please select WPA2-Personal or WPA2-Enterprise encryption if you would like to have your Wireless-N devices operating at full data rates. Click OK to continue with this selection, or Cancel to choose another type of encryption."
 
I get this message when I change WPA2 to WEP on my linksys wireless n router

"WARNING: Your Wireless-N devices will only operate at Wireless-A data rates with the encryption type you have chosen. Please select WPA2-Personal or WPA2-Enterprise encryption if you would like to have your Wireless-N devices operating at full data rates. Click OK to continue with this selection, or Cancel to choose another type of encryption."

Yeah, that's just a different type of encryption.

Like other people have said, the form of encryption has absolutely no effect on the speed. None.
 
Why would you bother with WEP.....

A 5 year old can crack that.....
 
old people steal lots of interwebs.

Both of my grandpas do it all the time, and they are both like 90 o_O
 
Damn your grandpas are old. One of mine isn't even 60 yet. The other is in his 70's.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top