Desktop PC Sounds Like a Hurricane

iEye Captain

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
2,849
Hi All,

I recently bought a desktop. It's very good for what I paid for it, but the only drawback is that it's extremely loud.

I disconnected the case fan on the side already, but to no avail.

Here are some parts I have that I think may be the problem:

Video Card
Power Supply
CPU Fan

I think those are the only spinning parts in my tower..

I am willing to replace the CPU fan and power supply in the name of a quieter computer, but I need to know that it'll actually make a tangible difference before I put money down for replacements. :blink:

If you think I should replace the part, which one would you recommend I buy? (using the same website as linked above).

Thanks! :)
 
There are Silent psu and case fans out there. But they cost alot.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4434989&CatId=4922

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014 (if you dont mind spending 80 bucks but its double the tiger direct link in Cfm and about 2 less dba)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4558896&Sku=U12-40504

Also, Is the fans too loud? Unless they are deltas, i think they are quite.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvL20iJmaaM&feature=related[/ame]
 
Phobus -

CPU Fan replacement - up to $50.
Power Supply - up to $100.

How about this one?

CPU Fan

Realistically, how much difference will it make from my current one (linked in OP)?
 
Weakest sound heard is 0dB
Whisper Quiet Library is 30dB < this is were your at now. around and this is where you will be around.
Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Normal piano practice is 60 -70dB
Telephone dial tone is 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) is 85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB
Subway train at 200' is 95dB
Levels at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss is 90 - 95dB
Power mower at 3' is 107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB
Power saw at 3' 110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection 140dB
Jet engine at 100', Gun Blast 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB not sure what that is
 
Back
Top