Windows 7 SP1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

phalanx

EGO Zealot
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
1,785
Alright, its going to bug me if I don't get other opinions.

I bought a 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD as a boot drive a while back and its worked amazing since. My only issue with it came yesterday... went to install Windows 7 SP1, not enough room left over. I have come up with a few solutions, but haven't acted on them yet.

1) Reformat, install SP1 from the start (if it permits)
2) Buy a new SSD
3) Is SP1 even worth it? Installed it on my laptop, haven't noticed any differences.

All opinions welcome, all suggestions welcome.

Looking forward to everyone's ideas.

EDIT: This is what I currently own.
 
Last edited:
1) Probably your best choice.


2) Eh.


3) SP1 is a collection of updates since Windows 7 was released. It is important to have.
 
1) Try that out of course.

2) If you can afford it (and "1)" doesn't work), go for it.

3) From what I've seen so far, the only major fix (for normal people) is for people that use HDMI audio. There were a few security patches and whatnot.
Other changes were to printing mixed-orientation XPS documents and support for communication with third-party federation services.
 
Same(ish) problem here a couple weeks ago, I went for option 1. Took me 6/7 hours to get back to where I was +SP1.

Edit - I should add that it only took so long due to major problems with getting my AutoDesk software going again. Adode, MS, Steam, etc all went back up quickly and easily.
 
Last edited:
All the updates take up a lot of space. Its kinda ridiculous how much space they take. What I'm hoping is that the SP1 will eliminate the need for all the separate updates, saving me a little space, at the least.
 
Last edited:
All the updates take up a lot of space. Its kinda ridiculous how much space they take. What I'm hoping is that the SP1 will eliminate the need for all the separate updates, saving me a little space, at the least.

SP1 is a collection of all previous updates and some new ones rolled into one large download. It will occupy the same amount of space.

What Anti-virus are you using? Microsoft Security Essentials is an AV that uses less space and less resources than Kaspersky, Norton, AVG etc. You'll receive security updates for MSE through windows update too.
 
I was thinking of removing the Norton that's on there for Windows Security Essentials! :O

I wasn't sure how well it worked though, or how much it would put on the boot drive.

Looks like the consensus so far is to reformat.

EDIT: Fresh off a reformat, thanks guys for all the assistance. :D
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top