Overclocking my AMD Ph.II X2 555 BE and EVGA GTX 460

runo

Forum Fiend
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
589
Hey guys,
So yesterday I overclocked two of my computer components for the first time ever. As in, I'd NEVER overclocked before. Rather than being a sissy and using AMD Overdrive, I just researched into the process and proceeded to hop into the BIOS and tinker from there. Afterwards I modified the clock rates on my GTX 460 with the EVGA Precision Tool. Needless to say since I'm posting from a working computer, it WORKED! Temps are cool and the PC runs stable and smoother than ever before!

However, I am a sissy and only mildly boosted the clock rates and voltage on the CPU (up to 3.8GHz from standard 3.5 and a modest 1.4v over 1.35), although games seem to load a lot faster and processes seem to be more manageable... and I seem to be pulling a 30% boost in FPS and performance from tinkering with my 460. Below is a screenshot of the clock rates on my CPU and GPU:

Close-up shot to the screen capture below
overclocked.jpg




The ultimate question, now, is if I can push my rig any further. Like I said, the computer is still 100% cool and stable so I'm wondering if I can overclock the GPU or especially the cores on my CPU any higher. I've heard of people going up to 4.0 or even 4.3GHz and higher on air (a friend claims to be running 4.6GHz on his 555BE), so -- bearing in mind that I only have standard Storm Scout case fans and the default CPU cooling (but a pretty bawss power supply, if that helps -- SeaSonic X650), what should I try pushing the clock rate and voltage up to? Should I tamper with that at all?

Thanks in advance!
-Runo
 
Misread your post at first. I have a Phenom II X3 and I got mine to 3.6 stable. I got to 3.8, but I was starting to get into voltages I wasn't comfortable with. So I dialed it back to 3.6 @ 1.536v.

Core Speed: 3616MHz
ultiplier: 18
Bus Speed: 200

On the flip side, make sure you're running Prime95 to make sure you're computer is stable under load and not just stable under idle. If Prime95 fails out, or your computer blue screens, then you know you need to make adjustments.
 
Last edited:
Hmm... maybe I can lower it back down to 1.35. The folks at overclocking.net mentioned that I'd want to nudge it up by .5v just for safety's sake (I read a guide on overclocking the 555BE specifically), but maybe I don't need that at all since it's stable.

I'll look into Prime95 though, thank you! It seems useful.

The rig though seems to be perfectly okay, it's been almost 48 hours since I booted up with all the overclocking done and have not had a single bluescreen, crash, or hitch period.
 
Hmm... maybe I can lower it back down to 1.35. The folks at overclocking.net mentioned that I'd want to nudge it up by .5v just for safety's sake (I read a guide on overclocking the 555BE specifically), but maybe I don't need that at all since it's stable.

I'll look into Prime95 though, thank you! It seems useful.

The rig though seems to be perfectly okay, it's been almost 48 hours since I booted up with all the overclocking done and have not had a single bluescreen, crash, or hitch period.

I actually read it wrong at first. There is a big difference between .05 and .5 lol. Nah a .05 voltage jump is nothing.

But what I did was see how high I could go on the stock voltage and then push up from there.

Also Prime95 will be the true test as to whether you'll be able to game on the OC. I got to 3.8 and it was running fine, I could browse the web and all of that, but as soon as I launched Prime95 and it started stressing my cores, everything went to hell. That was my clear indication that I needed to bump my voltages up some more to make her run, but I decided to instead just clock her down some.

Getting to 3.6 up from 2.8 is still a win in my book :).
 
Let me steal the thread here for a bit :P

What softwares should i use to check if my cpu is stable? I've used IBT, but is it worth using p95/OCCT over the night? Is there a difference between the tests?
 
Shadow's suggestion of Prime95 seems to work just fine for me! Though it tests every component of your PC... I think I saw an option to test just the CPU though.
 
Usually P95 for 24hrs is a good indication that your OC is stable. 20 runs of intelburn test is pretty good too though i have noticed that OC'ers are getting away from it (I still use it for a quick validation before prime). You have a good chip there, 4.0 is definitely achievable.

@bloodshot. there is no software that validates stability. if you dont crash when prime95/gaming/folding/whatever you do on a computer then you can consider your OC stable
 
prime95 for sure - basically run it for around 15 mins just to make sure shortterm is stable, once you get your OC to as high as you can then try it at a 20+ hour stability test

next thing you gotta do with that x2 is unlock it to a x4!!! tho im not sure if the 555 can do that
 
Oh yeah, the 555 has an 80% unlock chance. The only hitch with that idea which REALLY disappointed me is that my motherboard is an 890GX, which doesn't have ACC period, meaning I can't go in to unlock it to a quad core (as far as I know?).

From all accounts and research I've looked into, the only 890-series motherboard that features ACC is the 890FX, so it looks like my only options here are to upgrade to an 890FX or better, or look into alternative methods of unlocking the extra cores? D:

Gimme a sec, I think this warrants a new thread for discussion so as not to derail this one.
 
use more HTTrc, less multi.

Should allow for a higher/more stable OC.
 
Rockin', thank you! I didn't really futz with the HTTrc options and stuck with the multiplier. Do you have a recommendation for settings? I was eying 4.0GHz but I was debating growing some chest hair and shooting for 4.3GHz or higher.
 
Are you just on stock cooling? I'd get an aftermarket cooler before trying to push harder.

What programs are you using? Prime95 for stability and what for monitoring temps?
 
I'm on purely stock cooling. No extra case fans or aftermarket cooling. Can you recommend a good aftermarket cooler? I can pay up to $100 but I doubt I'll need that much, yeah?

I use P95 for stability and RealTemp/SpeedFan for temperature monitoring.
 
if you really want to see what your system can handle. go out and download superpi/hyperpi if you really want to do some stress testing
 

Latest posts

Back
Top