IDE>SATA problems...

anomaly

Forum Fiend
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
641
Hey there :) In an attempt to upgrade an old Dell Dimension 2400, I bought a new harddrive for more space. This turns out to have been done a bit too hastily, seeing as the 2400 does not have support for SATA (got a new WD 160GB SATA). I've tried searching for the drivers, but cannot seem to find them. What i'm trying to do is use nLite to put SATA controller drivers, but i can't find the drivers. Help anyone? :)

Specs:
Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz Processor
256 MB PC2100 DDR Memory
80 Gigabyte Hard Drive
48x CD-RW Combo Optical Drive
Integrated AC'97 Audio with Altec Lansing ADA215 Speakers
Intel Extreme 3D Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
v.92 56 Kbps PCI Modem and 10/100 Ethernet
Six USB 2.0 Ports
Three PCI Expansion Slots (Two Available)
Windows XP Home Operating System

845gv chipset. I have no idea what mobo it is.

Thanks!
 
Could you go into detail on exactly what you're doing?

If your motherboard does not have on-board SATA and you do not have an off-board tool to enable SATA communications, you can not use a SATA hard drive.

There should be no third party tools used to enable a SATA hard drive, this is solely a step in BIOS.
 
Which SATA controller are you going to install in your 2400? I can give you the driver once I know which controller you desire to use.

Also, why slipstream the driver when you can easily use a CD with the driver on it to load drivers during a Vista/7 install? (You will need a 3.5" Floppy for XP installation this way.)

Let me know if I can help you any further.
 
OHHHHHHHHH, That's what he's trying to do.

I've never had this issue, as I make sure most of my SATA hard drives are in Native(NCQ) before I use them.
 
Last edited:
Where are you plugging this SATA hard drive into in your 2400? To my knowledge, there is not a SATA connector onboard. I was expecting you to give me a model number for an add-in card. If you do have a SATA connector on your 2400, let me know.

Once we get past the physical install, I'd be happy to detail the software install instructions for you.
 
Better yet a picture of the port you are plugging your drive into and the surrounding area on the motherboard/extension card would be nice.

Just to be clear, sorry but I do have to ask this question not to insult your intelligence but how many wires do you have plugged into your sata drive?
 
I have an IDE>SATA adapter, going to be hard to take a picture as i don't have a camera :glare:. When trying to install XP, it does not recognize my harddrive and those drivers i need help with. Thanks
 
Last edited:
May I have the model of your hard drive and adapter?
For instance, Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJS.

Googling WD 160 GB SATA yields me no results.
 
I think so. I can't remember what happened as i connected it for sure. It's a very old BIOS. Probably something from '01?.

However reading on forums it does not seem like the mobo supports SATA :chair:

I'm assuming i'll need to get a sata controller card, no?
 
I can shoot you a pre-slipped copy if you have a legit key. I use it in my shop. Which version are you going to use? Home or Pro?

Should make it much easier....

Also...negative on the install of the adapter. Should go on the hard drive....and PATA cable into adapter/mobo.
 
OK. Thanks I will check it out and try to reverse the installation method today.

I'm using Pro.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top