Sweet waves, man! Check out Runo's board! (To upgrade or keep my mobo?)

How to tackle the motherboard issue (read details below!)

  • UPGRADE MOBO: Purchase and install the ASUS Crosshair IV

    Points: 1 50.0%
  • UPGRADE COMPONENTS: Around Christmas, order an AMD 6950 & 1090T

    Points: 0 0.0%
  • UPGRADE MOBO/CPU/GPU: Look into what's available around Bulldozer launch

    Points: 1 50.0%
  • UPGRADE NOTHING: Maybe there's an alternative option or it's just not worth it

    Points: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    2

runo

Forum Fiend
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
589
So as was mentioned in my other recent thread about overclocking, back when I first ordered the parts to this rig, I had no idea that my 555BE could unlock from an X2 into an X4. However, the problem with THAT is that my motherboard completely lacks an ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) function -- as far as I've been told and from what Google reveals, ACC is required to unlock extra cores. On top of that, I bought two EVGA GTX 460s to SLI, but the 890GX is not SLI Patch-supported (the 890FX and greater mobos are, however) -- so my options are thus:
a. Upgrade to a Crosshair IV motherboard, as this mobo is both ACC enabled and SLIP-supported.
b. Later this year (around Christmas time), keep the 890GX, but order one single beefy AMD GPU and a 1090 Thuban chipset CPU
c. Wait for Bulldozer to be released, then upgrade my motherboard, GPU AND CPU
d. other: If there are ways to unlock extra cores without ACC, I'd love to hear it! Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? :?




I'm sorry if this is one too many threads! I didn't want to derail the other thread with a new subject. Feel free to close this one if need be?
 
Since BD is pretty close to being launched (said to be ~April), I would definitely wait for that, if you're content with how your rig performs for now.
 
don;t bother getting a new board. The 890GPA-UD3H is a fine board.

I say either get the X6 or wait for BD
 

Latest posts

Back
Top