- Joined
- Aug 7, 2010
- Messages
- 618
Overview:
I decided that it was time to make some changes to my rig since I have a really hard time not tinkering with my computer. So after some deliberating, I have decided that the next step I should take is to put the computer under water. Sounded reasonable to me, I can push my clocks higher, cut down on fan noise, ect. So when I started putting together the loop, I got to my GPUs and started to think..... first, I really dont need 2 of them and second I want to get an NVIDIA card so I have decided to sell my 5850s and replace them with a GTX 570. I do understand that this is actually a downgrade but the 570 is a really good card and, well, its only one card (less noise, less power, less heat, and everything i do doesnt need 2 cards). So I add this to my list of "to dos". Before I call the loop complete, I look into chipset/NB blocks. After much research I have decided that the benefit of putting a block on the NB is far outweighed by cost so I decided against it but I really have to do something to the stock heatpipe/cooler if I want any decent clocks out if it (added to the list). These are the parts that will make up the water loop:
Since budget is tight I decided to take on this project in phases:
Phase I: GPU replacement
Phase II: CPU loop
Phase III: add the GPU to the loop
Phase I:
Here is the card that will replace the 2
There really isn't too much to say here except that I am happy with the change. Now I just have to sell 2 5850s before i can move forward...
If you made it this far, thanks for reading
I decided that it was time to make some changes to my rig since I have a really hard time not tinkering with my computer. So after some deliberating, I have decided that the next step I should take is to put the computer under water. Sounded reasonable to me, I can push my clocks higher, cut down on fan noise, ect. So when I started putting together the loop, I got to my GPUs and started to think..... first, I really dont need 2 of them and second I want to get an NVIDIA card so I have decided to sell my 5850s and replace them with a GTX 570. I do understand that this is actually a downgrade but the 570 is a really good card and, well, its only one card (less noise, less power, less heat, and everything i do doesnt need 2 cards). So I add this to my list of "to dos". Before I call the loop complete, I look into chipset/NB blocks. After much research I have decided that the benefit of putting a block on the NB is far outweighed by cost so I decided against it but I really have to do something to the stock heatpipe/cooler if I want any decent clocks out if it (added to the list). These are the parts that will make up the water loop:
Since budget is tight I decided to take on this project in phases:
Phase I: GPU replacement
Phase II: CPU loop
Phase III: add the GPU to the loop
Phase I:
Here is the card that will replace the 2
There really isn't too much to say here except that I am happy with the change. Now I just have to sell 2 5850s before i can move forward...
If you made it this far, thanks for reading









