I think it's time to talk web browsers

Chrome is boring? :/
Chrome is like the best thing since sliced bread! I used to use Firefox all the time since I will forever and eternally loathe Internet explorer. However, I have heard that Internet Explorer is the safest of all the browsers - which is horrible irony in my opinion.
 
Refer to first page. (It was a joke)

IE... safe? What is this blasphemy?!
IE9 did officially come out, though. Probably can get it through an update.
 
Refer to first page. (It was a joke)

IE... safe? What is this blasphemy?!
IE9 did officially come out, though. Probably can get it through an update.

Ugh. IE9 sounds...more complicated and slower than IE8 is. They're SO slow and clunky. I get aggravated anytime I have to use IE anywhere. And that's the thing about that too!- I can use Internet Explorer on anyones computer, anwhere and it still sucks and moves as slow as Molasses (said with southern inflection)(MOh-lasssiz). After using said browser, I usually demand that my friend get something better such as "Chrome". Lol.
 
Have you used it, though? It's not as bad. But if you compare it to other browsers, it still sucks lol.
 
Have you used it, though? It's not as bad. But if you compare it to other browsers, it still sucks lol.

I think I may have but I reached the same conclusion. It makes me /facepalm.
Have you ever heard of Opera?
 
I think I may have but I reached the same conclusion. It makes me /facepalm.
Have you ever heard of Opera?

I take it you didn't read a lot of the thread, just the OP? lol.
Yes, I have used Opera for a month or two. It was fast, it just lacked the support. Having a website randomly not load is pretty annoying. It was noticeably faster than Chrome (like 5 or something), though. At least it was on my connection. I liked how it loaded everything. That made it feel faster because it loaded all text first, then pictures. Does it still do that?
 
I take it you didn't read a lot of the thread, just the OP? lol.
Yes, I have used Opera for a month or two. It was fast, it just lacked the support. Having a website randomly not load is pretty annoying. It was noticeably faster than Chrome (like 5 or something), though. At least it was on my connection. I liked how it loaded everything. That made it feel faster because it loaded all text first, then pictures. Does it still do that?

I can't really tell with how fast webpages load, but when opening a website with multiple images, I guess it never occurred to me (until you pointed it out) that it does load text first.

If you have dial-up, or are on a slow/capped connection (or 3G phone), you can use Opera Turbo. It compresses the website before you see it, then sends the data (from their servers) to you fully compressed. Images look lower quality, but if you have ever tried it on a 3G phone, you'll notice a difference in speed. If you try it out on a fast connection, however, it's slower.


With the new Opera 11 (released a few months ago), I haven't ran into a website yet (besides Google, see below) that hasn't loaded or given me problems. (NOTE: It's now 11.01)

Google has been updated as everyone knows, it shows a preview of the website through a thumbnail, and Google Instant makes it slightly faster to search... But since that update, Google purposefully "sniffs" your browser, and if you're running Opera, all those new features are disabled. (Here's an article to prove this, still waiting for the support from Google :thumbdown:). If I do what I said earlier and make Opera "mask itself as Firefox", then I am able to use all those features without any troubles.
 
I can't really tell with how fast webpages load, but when opening a website with multiple images, I guess it never occurred to me (until you pointed it out) that it does load text first.

If you have dial-up, or are on a slow/capped connection (or 3G phone), you can use Opera Turbo. It compresses the website before you see it, then sends the data (from their servers) to you fully compressed. Images look lower quality, but if you have ever tried it on a 3G phone, you'll notice a difference in speed. If you try it out on a fast connection, however, it's slower.


With the new Opera 11 (released a few months ago), I haven't ran into a website yet (besides Google, see below) that hasn't loaded or given me problems. (NOTE: It's now 11.01)

Google has been updated as everyone knows, it shows a preview of the website through a thumbnail, and Google Instant makes it slightly faster to search... But since that update, Google purposefully "sniffs" your browser, and if you're running Opera, all those new features are disabled. (Here's an article to prove this, still waiting for the support from Google :thumbdown:). If I do what I said earlier and make Opera "mask itself as Firefox", then I am able to use all those features without any troubles.

Well, when your internet is as slow as mine, you can get pretty good at telling how things load and how fast things load. I didn't use the Turbo, though, I couldn't stand the low quality images. >.<

Internet Explorer really made me feel like I had bad internet (worse than it really is) because it was slow. Back in those days, Firefox was cool, but really bloated, so that didn't help. Then Chrome came out, and my internet seemed so much faster, even though it was the same speed. Opera made it feel even a touch faster than that, yet still the same speed.

I think I'll try it out again. Mind supplying a link? (Is there a Linux version?)
 
Last edited:
I take it you didn't read a lot of the thread, just the OP? lol.
Yes, I have used Opera for a month or two. It was fast, it just lacked the support. Having a website randomly not load is pretty annoying. It was noticeably faster than Chrome (like 5 or something), though. At least it was on my connection. I liked how it loaded everything. That made it feel faster because it loaded all text first, then pictures. Does it still do that?

I'm not sure. Last time I used Opera was on Wii because thats the only browser it can run, but I did used to have it on my computer when I had one. It was a sleek system and I remember it did load things pretty quickly, and yes sadly I skimmed, I admit it, I think I was overly eager to discuss browsers ( gotta love being a dork ).

I'm kind of tempted to download Opera again and see what it does now a day.
 
Well, when your internet is as slow as mine, you can get pretty good at telling how things load and how fast things load. I didn't use the Turbo, though, I couldn't stand the low quality images. >.<

Internet Explorer really made me feel like I had bad internet (worse than it really is) because it was slow. Back in those days, Firefox was cool, but really bloated, so that didn't help. Then Chrome came out, and my internet seemed so much faster, even though it was the same speed. Opera made it feel even a touch faster than that, yet still the same speed.

I think I'll try it out again. Mind supplying a link? (Is there a Linux version?)

Yea, I can't stand low quality images too, but it keeps the cellphone bills going on their data plans.

Firefox 4 is reported to be less 'bloated' then before. I believe Mozzila said they want to release a new version every 4 months or so (I can't remember).

IE-9 is supposed to be faster, but I still can't stand looking at how many security flaws it has and how long it takes Microsoft to address them.
Internet Explorer, even though most people don't notice it, is actually used by quite a few applications. Take Xfire as an example, those ads don't come from anywhere, it actually uses IE to connect to their webserver and show you advertisements.


And here's the link:
http://www.opera.com/download/
 
I'm not sure. Last time I used Opera was on Wii because thats the only browser it can run, but I did used to have it on my computer when I had one. It was a sleek system and I remember it did load things pretty quickly, and yes sadly I skimmed, I admit it, I think I was overly eager to discuss browsers ( gotta love being a dork ).

I'm kind of tempted to download Opera again and see what it does now a day.

That's a bit before I started using Opera.

I say do it. I just did. :p

Yea, I can't stand low quality images too, but it keeps the cellphone bills going on their data plans.

Firefox 4 is reported to be less 'bloated' then before. I believe Mozzila said they want to release a new version every 4 months or so (I can't remember).

IE-9 is supposed to be faster, but I still can't stand looking at how many security flaws it has and how long it takes Microsoft to address them.
Internet Explorer, even though most people don't notice it, is actually used by quite a few applications. Take Xfire as an example, those ads don't come from anywhere, it actually uses IE to connect to their webserver and show you advertisements.


And here's the link:
http://www.opera.com/download/

Firefox is still bloated. Palemoon is what Firefox should be.

Opera does have Linux support. :wheee:
And I just installed it. My god is it just as fast as I remembered. Downloaded, installed and on here in about 1 and a half minutes. That's impressive.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top