AT&T will cap DSL and U-Verse internet

Mr.Game

Forum Fiend
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
695
As the title states AT&T is limiting (capping) its DSL and U-Verse internet usage.

You can read the article about it here:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/13/atandt-will-cap-dsl-u-verse-internet-and-impose-overage-fees/


Reading the update-part of that article, I think I would've applied as one of the 2% of their users.
Now I'm glad I didn't go with AT&T (I have cable now), even thought DSL is better than cable for gaming, I don't like the thought of being capped.


(NOTE: I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post this since it doesn't involve a game and 'off-topic and entertainment' just doesn't sound right. If this is the wrong place for this, then please notify me and move it.)
 
Wow.
LOL.

Thank Helheim for Wideband technology.
 
lololololololol
you think thats bad or something? wow i bet you'd hate to live in ontario right now. basically what canada is doing is trying to pass a bandwidth limit for all indie (local) ISPs to be the same as giant coorps such as bell/rogers.

basically my 200 GB per month limit would be lowered to 25 GB (up and down) per month with an overage fee of $1.90 per GB. after massive MASSIVE outcry by the public they decided to review this bill, and my ISP decided to UP everybodies limit to 300 GB in the meantime haha.
 
hmm I never thought a company like AT&T would decide to do that. I'm glad I switched over to comcast
 
They did it because their company is dying. I tried AT&T DSL, and I didn't even get a chance to use it because they were unwilling to cooperate and get my connection issues resolved. I almost ended up filing a lawsuit for them charging me for a service that I didn't use. I'm glad I got that resolved, but I will never again use AT&T's service again. I'm using cableone at the moment, and while they're slightly more expensive (about $3 a month) it's worth it because the service is outstanding. I've had the same price with my service for the last 3 years. It fluctuated with AT&T.


I am disturbed by this change in policy, though. It seems like lots of companies are starting to cap their internet usage. This is not good. We're headed towards a time of more restrictive internet. I am not happy about that.
 
hmm I never thought a company like AT&T would decide to do that. I'm glad I switched over to comcast

Comcast has had a cap of 250GB for a while now. The 150GB limit on DSL seems way too low, though. I pretty regularly go over 150GB, at least according to Comcast's Data Usage Meter.
 
Comcast has had a cap of 250GB for a while now. The 150GB limit on DSL seems way too low, though. I pretty regularly go over 150GB, at least according to Comcast's Data Usage Meter.

What? I deff dont have a cap

EDIT: I guess they do haha. I doubt ill ever go over that though :P
 
Last edited:
Comcast has had a cap of 250GB for a while now. The 150GB limit on DSL seems way too low, though. I pretty regularly go over 150GB, at least according to Comcast's Data Usage Meter.

Charter which is below Time Warner which is below Comcast has a 300GB or 350GB but their service is okay... Weve had Verizon DSL but when they switched Frontier it went up and service went down...

Ive seen this cap coming for a while... when I hit a time usage cap on dial few years back (like had 4 hours left after basically on the whole month) and a data cap on an air card after it was set to unlimited (had to resolved so it stayed unlimited)...

Sad really, we dont need restricted internet. Companies like Steam, D2Drive, Netfix, etc wont be able to survive when people have to choose games, work, entertainment or whatever else they use their connection for.
 
Yeah, this is pretty much the same as what Comcast has been doing for a while. Comcast has a "soft" cap. It's not really a cap and more of a "If you hit this mark, and we're hurting for bandwidth in your area, we'll send you nasty grams in the mail."

Myself and three of my friends all share a connection (We rented a house together. 50MBps/10MBps) and so far we've been over our cap the past two months, but haven't heard anything. We hit 300GB last month, and we're already at 160GB this month.
 
Yeah, this is pretty much the same as what Comcast has been doing for a while. Comcast has a "soft" cap. It's not really a cap and more of a "If you hit this mark, and we're hurting for bandwidth in your area, we'll send you nasty grams in the mail."

Myself and three of my friends all share a connection (We rented a house together. 50MBps/10MBps) and so far we've been over our cap the past two months, but haven't heard anything. We hit 300GB last month, and we're already at 160GB this month.

They'll throttle you if they need bandwidth or if you continue going over or go over too much.
 
Now I'm glad I didn't go with AT&T (I have cable now), even thought DSL is better than cable for gaming, I don't like the thought of being capped.

You're kidding right? 2Mbps vs 30Mbps with cable, and fiber optics.
 
for gaming anything over 5mbps is basically useless...most likely even lower than that tho - games only take so much kb/s etc, you don't need 30 mbps to game. the only difference you'll get is latency/ping depending on factors other than your internet download speed
 
Perhaps is why our internet is starting to suck, Oh well it's all we can get here >.<
 
You're kidding right? 2Mbps vs 30Mbps with cable, and fiber optics.

His reasoning is that DSL is dedicated. You're the only one on your connection. With Cable you're sharing that line the entire way back to your ISP.

Example: You live in a huge development with 200 neighbors, and everyone has Comcast. They all decide to surf and watch some Netflix. All the sudden your 50MBps package is only pulling at 12MBps. Your ping goes from 30ms to 100ms.

Granted most places now have the backbone to support the people they have, but not always. I've heard stores where peoples internet will completely cut out at peak hours because there are so many people on the line.
 
His reasoning is that DSL is dedicated. You're the only one on your connection. With Cable you're sharing that line the entire way back to your ISP.

Example: You live in a huge development with 200 neighbors, and everyone has Comcast. They all decide to surf and watch some Netflix. All the sudden your 50MBps package is only pulling at 12MBps. Your ping goes from 30ms to 100ms.

Granted most places now have the backbone to support the people they have, but not always. I've heard stores where peoples internet will completely cut out at peak hours because there are so many people on the line.

Mine's about the exact opposite. Most of the people around us have AT&T, so we're not sharing much. We were paying for 12 and we would get up to 32-34 pretty much constantly.
 

This.

Plus, our ISP's "hub" is located in the middle of 4 towns, so in essence it's being shared with many people.

Peak hours are early in the morning for me since most of the people using the internet around my area actually go to sleep at 8.
 
personally it doenst make sense to me ...i could understand it maybe when it first came out...but as time goes on the technology gets better aka they should be able to handle more now than they ever have...oh well i have time warner cable connection so unless they cap it im fine i just hope this capping thing dies and companies all dont start doing it

although idk how worried is should be how many gigs does moderate gaming and youtube watching really use? besides like when i buy a game via steam i don's do any large downloads
 
I don't understand how AT&T has so many customers. Their customer service and extraneous pricing techniques (inconsistent month-to-month) are horrid! Hopefully this will result in an outcry from the public, but in reality, it probably won't, because "everybody is doing it." What a joke!
 
Back
Top