Hey guys,
So I'm looking to get a hold of an Android phone. It seems to have everything I want in a phone, effectively seeming like a pocket PC with lots of extra goodies. After doing some research, Android is probably pretty much the phone for me, but I'm still at a loss as to which phone to get. As I am a noob to phones, treat me like one. Obviously I know how to USE one, but I don't know what to LOOK for in one
My birthday's next month and my current phone is not that awesome (Kyocera Slider from V-Mobile).. so my parents were like "Hey, your phone sucks, we're gonna get you a new one". I was like "Deal!" Here's the specifics:
-The absolute most I want to spend is $200 for the phone itself and maybe $40 TOPS for monthly plans. As I'm an Android newb, however, I don't know if this is any kind of feasible so feel free to just smack me and say "LOLNO" if thats' the case. If the phone is like, $100 or less and the monthly fee is like $50+ that's okay, I guess. Gimme all the options you got!
-My current phone's camera is terrible (like 2.0 megapixels or some crap). I love taking pictures of random stuff I find because I'm a total hipster like that, so anything that isn't as bad as 2.0MP is solid to me. It's not a deal breaker if the camera sucks though, honestly.
-Doesn't really need to be a gamer's phone, as I can always go home and load up the desktop for that. I hate mobile gaming anyway. lol
-I love music. I love music on the go. I pretty much have to have music. If there's a phone that gives me unlimited access to YouTube, Pandora, Grooveshark or something, I'm good to go. Large storage drives (or even the ability to store music, period) are awesome.
-I cannot stand virtual QWERTY keyboards. Period. If it's a really good deal I could get used to it, but I'm a mechanical typist at heart so a slide-out QWERTY keyboard is what I have my heart set on.
-I honestly text more than I call. A good keyboard, text message interface and the ability to send IMs (AIM, MSN, Pidgin/Trillion, what have you) are important. Good call quality doesn't hurt though.
-Screen size isn't a huge deal to me, though I'm probably going to be doing a fair bit of instant messaging and forum posting on this thing, so...
-Provider isn't particularly important IF THEY DON'T SUCK. 3G/4G I don't particularly care: if it'll load websites, I can stand the wait. Don't take that as me saying that I won't take 4G where I can get it, though.
-Brand is of no import, again, as long as it doesn't suck.
tl;dr version is that I'd like to use the phone for music, texting and instant messaging and maybe a little web browsing. If I can answer any more questions, let me know.
I was eying Virgin Mobile's Samsung Intercept - but I'm not a huge V-Mobile fan after some recent struggles with their service -- and that's still a bit pricey...
So I'm looking to get a hold of an Android phone. It seems to have everything I want in a phone, effectively seeming like a pocket PC with lots of extra goodies. After doing some research, Android is probably pretty much the phone for me, but I'm still at a loss as to which phone to get. As I am a noob to phones, treat me like one. Obviously I know how to USE one, but I don't know what to LOOK for in one
My birthday's next month and my current phone is not that awesome (Kyocera Slider from V-Mobile).. so my parents were like "Hey, your phone sucks, we're gonna get you a new one". I was like "Deal!" Here's the specifics:
-The absolute most I want to spend is $200 for the phone itself and maybe $40 TOPS for monthly plans. As I'm an Android newb, however, I don't know if this is any kind of feasible so feel free to just smack me and say "LOLNO" if thats' the case. If the phone is like, $100 or less and the monthly fee is like $50+ that's okay, I guess. Gimme all the options you got!
-My current phone's camera is terrible (like 2.0 megapixels or some crap). I love taking pictures of random stuff I find because I'm a total hipster like that, so anything that isn't as bad as 2.0MP is solid to me. It's not a deal breaker if the camera sucks though, honestly.
-Doesn't really need to be a gamer's phone, as I can always go home and load up the desktop for that. I hate mobile gaming anyway. lol
-I love music. I love music on the go. I pretty much have to have music. If there's a phone that gives me unlimited access to YouTube, Pandora, Grooveshark or something, I'm good to go. Large storage drives (or even the ability to store music, period) are awesome.
-I cannot stand virtual QWERTY keyboards. Period. If it's a really good deal I could get used to it, but I'm a mechanical typist at heart so a slide-out QWERTY keyboard is what I have my heart set on.
-I honestly text more than I call. A good keyboard, text message interface and the ability to send IMs (AIM, MSN, Pidgin/Trillion, what have you) are important. Good call quality doesn't hurt though.
-Screen size isn't a huge deal to me, though I'm probably going to be doing a fair bit of instant messaging and forum posting on this thing, so...
-Provider isn't particularly important IF THEY DON'T SUCK. 3G/4G I don't particularly care: if it'll load websites, I can stand the wait. Don't take that as me saying that I won't take 4G where I can get it, though.
-Brand is of no import, again, as long as it doesn't suck.
tl;dr version is that I'd like to use the phone for music, texting and instant messaging and maybe a little web browsing. If I can answer any more questions, let me know.
I was eying Virgin Mobile's Samsung Intercept - but I'm not a huge V-Mobile fan after some recent struggles with their service -- and that's still a bit pricey...














