Gtx 590!

shadows5631

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
3,218
It's being released tomorrow, so I'm reserving a thread for the Guru3D review :P

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GeForce-Radeon-GTX-590-HD-6990-GF110,12383.html

Apparently it's a GTX 580 x2 slightly downclocked. Despite it probably needing a 1600 watt PSU (sarcasm), it will be interesting to see how it goes against the 6990, which only uses 375 watts peak. 580>6970. The price will determine the rest though.

To round out Nvidia's big 11-inch package, a removable cover will allow for easy cleaning.

Hopefully it actually works well, so that idea can be implemented on future cards. It's really difficult removing the shroud off of mine, and the 20 pound block of copper to redo the thermal paste.
 
That quote you have by itself sounds so wrong. >.<

I'm interested, but only to see the advancement of technology. And I want to see the TDP. :P

10 phase on a GPU? Nice!
Dual vapor chamber? I guess it won't get too hot.
 
wow...

wonder what the price will be.. and how it will affect the prices of "lower" cards
 
wow...

wonder what the price will be.. and how it will affect the prices of "lower" cards

I wouldn't expect the price to budge on any of the other lineup right now. Hopefully it has at least 2GB of vram per gpu and allows surround off of a single card. The current 580's are pretty anemic (not counting the 3GB non-reference) if you are talking surround resolutions.
 
I wouldn't expect the price to budge on any of the other lineup right now. Hopefully it has at least 2GB of vram per gpu and allows surround off of a single card. The current 580's are pretty anemic (not counting the 3GB non-reference) if you are talking surround resolutions.

I don't think the 580s can do surround of a single card. No Nvidia card can, AFAIK.
 
I don't think the 580s can do surround of a single card. No Nvidia card can, AFAIK.

No single gpu nvidia card can. That's the point though. This is a dual gpu card, so like the goofy dual gpu 460 2win card, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's able to do surround off a single card.
 
No single gpu nvidia card can. That's the point though. This is a dual gpu card, so like the goofy dual gpu 460 2win card, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's able to do surround off a single card.

Actually, no they can't. Nvidia cards don't have/utilize Display Port connections, which are required to run multi-monitor setups off of one card. DVI and the other legacy connections can only be output from two connections off of a single GPU.
 
I would be surprised if it's just $700 for two downclocked 580s. I was expecting much higher than that or 2x570s.
 
You can run surround off of the 460 2win, as well as the 590.

(it is one of the advertising points of both cards)

back on topic:

I am tempted to get one, since i have a 3 monitor setup, but I am too much of an ATi fanboy to get an nvidia card.
 
Actually, no they can't. Nvidia cards don't have/utilize Display Port connections, which are required to run multi-monitor setups off of one card. DVI and the other legacy connections can only be output from two connections off of a single GPU.

Phobus:

I have a single NVIDIA 8800GTX, old school. I'm running two monitors off two different DVI ports without a problem.
 
Phobus:

I have a single NVIDIA 8800GTX, old school. I'm running two monitors off two different DVI ports without a problem.

Yeah, that's two DVI connections being powered from a single GPU. If the card had 3 DVI connections, you could only output through 2 of them.

For example, look at the connections on this card:
idFoTA.jpg


See how there is two DVI, an HDMI, and a Display Port connection? If you wanted to hook up three monitors to it, you can only use two of the three legacy connections (DVI/HDMI), and one of the monitors must be hooked up through the display port connection. So you could have two DVI, one DP (display port), or one DVI, one HDMI, one DP. But you could not have two DVI and one HDMI.
 
Yeah, that's two DVI connections being powered from a single GPU. If the card had 3 DVI connections, you could only output through 2 of them.


The only review you really need [H]ere:
http://hardocp.com/article/2011/03/24/asus_geforce_gtx_590_video_card_review/1

That review is really going to show you that dual 570's would probably be a better investment (or dual 6950's on the AMD side). For anyone on a single monitor, these are completely overkill.

All tests done at 5760x1200 :) For the 590 and 6990 off of Single cards.

Worth noting that the 3x DVI ports work on dual gpu nvidia cards for suround -- so there are 3x hardware clocks. The DP thing is a limitation based on the fact that on single gpu cards there are only 2 clocks-- 1 is shared between an HDMI port and a DVI port. DP connections do not require a separate hardware clock, instead embedding the clock in the data stream.

re: DisplayPort
"Freed from the need for dedicated, independent clock signals, a single clock source can regulate as many output streams as the GPU can support. " -Toms article listed below

I ended up purchasing DP monitors, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I run 2x DVI and 1x DisplayPort off my 5870 to 3x Dell P2310h's.

Good article on DisplayPort and clocks here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ati-eyefinity,2567-6.html

All in all I'm pretty disappointed they did not up the RAM spec. It's still only 1.5GB per GPU, which will become an issue at high AA at mutli monitor resolutions.
 
Last edited:
It's being released tomorrow, so I'm reserving a thread for the Guru3D review :P

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GeForce-Radeon-GTX-590-HD-6990-GF110,12383.html

Apparently it's a GTX 580 x2 slightly downclocked. Despite it probably needing a 1600 watt PSU (sarcasm), it will be interesting to see how it goes against the 6990, which only uses 375 watts peak. 580>6970. The price will determine the rest though.



Hopefully it actually works well, so that idea can be implemented on future cards. It's really difficult removing the shroud off of mine, and the 20 pound block of copper to redo the thermal paste.


At most 1200 watts, but it is also downclocked.

But from the reviews It looks like a system wattage of 800 to 850 watts at stock might be close.
 
Last edited:
Worth noting that the 3x DVI ports work on dual gpu nvidia cards for suround -- so there are 3x hardware clocks. The DP thing is a limitation based on the fact that on single gpu cards there are only 2 clocks-- 1 is shared between an HDMI port and a DVI port. DP connections do not require a separate hardware clock, instead embedding the clock in the data stream.

Exactly my point. A single GPU card can't use 3x DVI ports. If you're going to run multi-monitor of a single GPU card, you need to use Display Port.

And good god the max load is scary. On hardwareheaven, they said it uses 500W at max load.
 
The general consensus is the GTX 590 is quieter, but the HD 6990 is faster.

Well, the review on Guru3D showed it ahead on everything but 3Dmark 11, Far Cry 2 and Crysis Warhead. Which is strange because it's usually the other way around that those games favor Nvidia. Even in Dirt 2 it was faster.

You need that muscular PC, a monitor resolution that starts at 1920x1080/1200 or heck, even three monitors as remember, one GTX 590 supports surround vision with up-to three monitors as well.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top