Major Canadian ISP admits to throttling WoW

Well said GTS. Also, always ask for their name and write it down, so they know you mean business. Especially if they're not helping the situation.

2. If you are a lucky person who lives in an area where Comcast has the rights in your community to be the only cable provider, this is a huge plus for you. There is someone in your county/community who handles the contracts for these companies. If you got a problem and Comcast or your other provider isn't solving it, call that person and you'll get a tech out the next day. It has worked every time here.

I'm in one of those areas and I have to say the independent contractors I have dealt with are very unreliable. The actual company's technicians have been very nice and helpful though.
 
why would you even have rogers internet? rogers sucks at everything.
shaw internet ftw.
 
Had Comcast (Time Warner) out in San Diego. There internet never seemed to be bad for me as long as everyone in my freaking area was not on it. Peak times sucked for me because everyone had Roadrunner in my area.

The only real problem I had with them was there phone tech support.
Here is a good story about dealing with Time Warner tech support...

Watching TV when I here a big freaking semi rolling down the road (It's a housing complex so this in it self is odd)as it slowly lumbers down the road. I see that the truck is way to tall and is just barely missing the cable/power lines running to peoples houses off of the poles. Well it gets to my house and wouldn't you guess it, it freaking clips my cable line and poof no TV no internet.

Well I'm pissed because of my damn luck I'm the only house he clipped. Well off to call Time Warner and see if they can send a guy down to re-attach my line. This is were the fun begins...

Calling them up I tell them the story of what happen and telling them why my cable/internet is down. First thing the lady who I'm dealing with said is that the connection is fine on there end to my area and it should be working... Really I did not know your services were provided via magic and not though cables lines.

Next question was she was not picking up my modem and that I should reset it by turning it off and waiting 30 sec then turning it back on... At this point I'm banging my head on the nearest wall. I asked her if she could connect me to a manager or someone who did not go to the same tech school as her... As she said she will connect me to one of her managers I could her she was not too happy with my responses...

Now I'm connected to someone who says they are knowledgeable and keen to help me with my situation. At this point he asked me if I had tried resetting my modem again... I almost lost it at this point but kept my cool and told them that I don't think that is going to solve my problem.

He now asked if my modem was connected to a router. Rage rising. I know where this conversation is going. "Why yes good sir it so happens that it is" At which point he told me I should reset it by... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm pissed now and asked if I could speak to anyone who was not a stowaway in a DeLorean from the 50s...

Well they seem to not be able to solve my problem and would have to send a guy out to cheek out my problem.. AT LAST THEY FINLAY FIGURED OUT TO SEND SOMEONE... Then they tell me all there technicians are busy and won't be able to come for another 3 days...

I told them to cancel my Time Warner account and never to contact me ever again on this number.

I called up ATT and got the cheapest internet service available for the week and a half before I moved out to Las Vegas.

Yes Time Warner phone tech support was so bad I had to get another provider for only 2 weeks I was still living there.
 
I'm not sure whether the cheapest option is sufficient speed.

I don't do anything other than game, Youtubez and occasionally stream NCAA or other sports stuff..

for gaming and stuff anything over 5 mbps is a waste of money. unless you're downloading LOTR every week and need the higher upload speed for videos etc then most of the insane verizon speeds and such are just overkill
 
I'm @RogersMelanie and I'm with Rogers.

I wanted to provide some details about World of Warcraft.

Firstly, our network management policy makes clear that we only manage upstream P2P traffic on our network: "High-volume, low time-sensitive traffic (such as P2P file sharing) is limited to ensure all customers have a high level of service for time-sensitive tasks like sending email, requesting web pages, video and voice applications." You can find the policy here:http://www.rogers.com/web/content/network_management

What we know today about World of Warcraft is that there is a problem with our traffic management equipment that is inadvertently slowing the game for some customers. While we have fixed some issues with a software modification, new problems have emerged that we expect will be addressed with a second software update in June.

We believe the problem occurs when P2P is running while simultaneously playing the game. If you are experiencing problems we suggest you turn off the peer to peer setting within the WoW game and ensure no other P2P file sharing applications are running while playing WoW. WoW does use P2P for software updates, but with this setting changed you should continue to automatically receive software updates through other methods.

This is only a temporary solution. We continue to work closely with the game manufacturer and our equipment supplier to help resolve this issue as soon as possible. We thank you for your patience while we have been investigating issues related to World of Warcraft.

@RogersMelanie


Just so everyone knows that Rogers is throttling the P2P aspect of the game and not the gameplay itself? I'm not big fan of any kind of traffic shaping but we've (rogers customers) been living under this for a while now unfortunately.

Take it to your MP when they ask your opinion concerning what you want changed for the upcoming election!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top