Another build me a computer thread!

forty2skates

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
732
Okay, so my brother needs a new system and I've got some pretty solid ideas but I'm curious what you guys think would be best. He's got a budget of $500, need a case and everything that goes in it except for an OS since I have the hookup on that. The preference is Intel/nVidia over AMD with minimum of an i5. Also needs some decent RAM, at least 4gb due to the fact that he's running some programs that need it (Solid Works and Master CAM). I've got a GT 240 he can have if his budget won't get him where he'd like to be (non SE 460). Also, I'm going to make him pay for the difference between my X-560 and a X-750 and he can just have my current PSU. My current build path exceeds $500 by less than 10% but he'll be stuck with my GT 240.
 
I say if you want to meet the standards you've set (good GPU + i5), then he needs to increase the budget. $500 is barely past an office machine in terms of high end gaming.
 
If you're not up to the challenge, that's cool. Not actually for high end gaming but he's thinking he might be headed that way eventually.
 
ikxaPq.png


Couldn't fit a 2500K+P67 board, so he'll just have to deal with turboboost overclocking only.

Left $45 so he can buy your PSU + whatever size HDD he needs.
 
I say if you want to meet the standards you've set (good GPU + i5), then he needs to increase the budget. $500 is barely past an office machine in terms of high end gaming.

I agree with Ph?bus.
This is about the cheapest i5+Nvidia build I could wholeheartedly recommend (at ~$700 after MIR):While corners could be cut in order to keep the prices even lower (i5-2300, H61, etc...), if you are going to be spending ~$500+ dollars on a rig, you're going to want quality parts. Why spend all that money just to be disappointed that you didn't spend just a little more.

Having said that, the above rig is one I would be happy to recommend to a friend on a low budget (who wanted i5, Nvidia). The 2500k/P67 will allow for some OCing when performance starts dropping a couple years down the line, and the rest of the parts are built to last. Of course that PSU could be swapped out for yours instead, if you wish.

tl;dr: Is it over budget? Yes. Would I recommend spending less? No.
 
I agree. Save just a little bit more and get a computer that you will be much more satisfied with and will last longer.
 
Hey forty2skates, I don't know if you're still looking for help on this, but Newegg just posted this new combo deal today that discounts just about everything in my previous post.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.627552

For $519.99 (before MIR), this combo would serve as a great foundation for your brother's system. If money is an issue, he could still use your GTX 240 as he's saving up, but this system would allow him to confidently upgrade his GPU when he can afford it. I can't see a better P67 i5 deal coming for a while.
 
damn, that is pretty good. just about to pull the trigger too. sending the link to my brother now.
 
I just want to point out, it's difficult to build a good intel based pc for $500.
You could get a bit more for your money with an AMD build.

I just built an AMD mini gaming rig for my son for <$400
Nzxt gamma case < Amazon.com $50
OCZ stealthstream 550 PSU < Tiger Direct $25 after MIR
BIOSTAR A770E3 MOBO < $50 Newegg
Athlon II x3 3.2 ghz CPU $75 Tiger Direct
4 gigs of DDR3 geil memory $40 Newegg
(reused a 500 gig HD and DVD-r out of an old rig)
And a 4670 video card. $49 after MIR

BTW the 4th core did unlock via the ACC function on the motherboard

PSU and CPU came from Tiger Direct.
Everything else but the case, from newegg.
2 of these items involved rebates ($50 total)
Total cost, right about $350 after the mail in rebates.

You could take this same build, spend another $100 on a better video card and play everything out there.
I realize its not what you prefer, but if your really looking to get the most bang for your buck
and you are not in a position to spend more, I would definitely consider an AMD platform.

And I agree with Ieye, when doing budget builds, you should not be looking for the "Best" components,
but the most value for the money. Now if its on sale at a great price, that's different.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top