Network lag in BFBC2, nowhere else?!

iPwntUrMum

Famous
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
563
Hi all. Like the title says, I'm getting quite a bit of lag (unplayable) in bfbc2. When I open the servers in the browser, I get back pings of around 80, so that is normal. When I join the server, however, my ping flys up to about 400-700, depending. 100% unplayable, yes.

This doesn't happen with any of the source games I have (CS:S, TF2)

Anyone know how I can fix this?
It for sure isn't just graphical/cpu lag.

Cheers
/Pwnt
 
Do you use a router and/or firewall?
If so, you may need to open the correct ports for BC2/allow communication through your firewall.

The following ports need to be open to exchange data efficiently.
UDP: 80, 13505, 18121, 18126, 18390, 18395
and
TCP: 10000, 18126, 18395
 
Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure how to do this, I just got a new router and am unfamiliar with the settings still. I have Port Forwarding and Port Triggering, how do I open ports with those?

I have already opened the ports in my firewall.

Thanks
/Pwnt
 
Sounds like we may have hit the problem: new router.

What kind of router do you have?
For instance, my previous router was a Linksys E4200.
 
I'm sorry, Pwnt. I have a tendency of not checking threads. If this ever happens again, just throw up a note on my profile reminding me to take a look.

To log into a NETGEAR router:

In your Web browser, navigate to the router login page. By default, one or all of the following URLs should work:
• http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com
• http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1
Note: You can sometimes find the login URL on a sticker on the bottom or back of the router.

Enter the username (admin) and the password.
• The default password is password, or for older routers, 1234.
• If you have already changed the default password, use the password you assigned the router. Passwords are case sensitive.
• If you have already changed the password and do not remember it, you have to reset the router to factory defaults in order to use the default password. Resetting a router to factory defaults erases all changes you have made to the router's configuration files.

After that, look through the options for "Port forwarding".
After you have found that option, most routers have an IN and OUT format, so, for instance, if I wanted to open port 666 on UDP, I'd click the "IN" box and type "666" and click "OUT" and type "666". Then, if there's an option, set the communication to UDP.

You will also have to determine your internal IP.
You can do this by hitting windows key + R and typing "cmd.exe" without quotes into the run window, which will open a command prompt.
Type in "ipconfig" without quotes and hit enter, it may take a second to update.
After the text is done scrolling, you're looking for an internal IP. For instance, mine is displayed like this. What's bolded is my internal IP. You'll need this when you forward to determine which PC to open ports on.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : I don't think so. What're you, slick?
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top