I'm getting really sick of this <Steam problem>

ModusPwnens

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
2,955
I've been having a problem where steam decides to change what keyboard layout it thinks I'm using. It goes from qwerty to German or Dvorak, and I can't switch it back without closing steam and re-opening it. Is there any fix besides exiting and reopening steam or disabling all but one keyboard layout? Both of those "fixes" seem to work, but I'd rather not quit steam in the middle of a game, or disable alternative keyboard layouts.

I have noticed this happening on totally different machines (both Intel and AMD CPUs) with different OS (Win 7 ultimate and Win 7 professional).

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Log into your Steam account
Click the Steam menu in the top menu bar (this is the first option on the left at the top of the window)
Go to the Settings option
Go to the Interface tab
Select the language you wish to use from the drop-down menu
Click OK and then select the option to Restart Steam
Once Steam restarts, you will be able to use Steam and Valve games in the language which you selected.
If you have games installed that support the language you have selected, files for that language may need to be downloaded before you can play.

Try this.
 
I was hoping for a fix that didn't involve restarting steam. The problem is it starts out with one keyboard setting and just switches to another while I'm in the middle of a steam chat. Or if I'm in game, it just happens without me touching any setting.
 
Do you use Windows 7?

Edit:
Nevermind that.

Check the keyboard region settings in Control Panel and make sure your desired language is selected, with no secondary languages on the list. Sometimes, Windows 7 controls other programs or its functions.

You can do this from the Region and Language icon and then clicking Keyboards and Languages.

Windows 7 can lower all other volume by 80% when you use applications.
ie; Listening to music, people start talking on Ventrilo, Windows 7 lowers your music program volume so the Ventrilo volume is louder.

Edit2: Why do you need more then one keyboard layout if you only type in English? If this isn't the case, only enable the languages in which you actively type and make sure English is the primary language.
 
Last edited:
Check the keyboard region settings in Control Panel and make sure your desired language is selected, with no secondary languages on the list. Sometimes, Windows 7 controls other programs or its functions.
Yup, in English. It'll be set to English (QWERTY, not Dvorak) in the control panel, but in Steam it will be totally different.

Edit2: Why do you need more then one keyboard layout if you only type in English? If this isn't the case, only enable the languages in which you actively type and make sure English is the primary language.

I go on German forums occasionally. I was pretty surprised when the keyboard got changed to Dvorak the other day in steam because I don't even have that enabled on my laptop.
 
Hmm.........
You noticed the change on different machines..

The only thing I can think of is your settings being altered globally by Steam Cloud.
Steam Cloud saves your settings so no matter what machine you're on, you keep your binds, etc.

Have you tried disabling Steam Cloud to see if this resolves the issue?
 
If this is the problem where you start typing in a diferent language than i ahve hte solution for you!

1) ctrl+shift
2) is it fixed? (if yes skip step 3)
3) goto step 1
4) Play more jail!

basicly, hitting ctrl+shift cycles through your keyboard layout settings, happens to me all the time
 
If this is the problem where you start typing in a diferent language than i ahve hte solution for you!

1) ctrl+shift
2) is it fixed? (if yes skip step 3)
3) goto step 1
4) Play more jail!

basicly, hitting ctrl+shift cycles through your keyboard layout settings, happens to me all the time

But, why does it happen?
I mean, this seems like only a temporary solution.

I do not experience this issue, so I kind of want to investigate, haha.
 
Good.
I still wanna investigate why that happens and not a temporary fix, but a permanent one..
Time to do a lot of research, haha.

Come back to us in the future. :]
 
aaaah! Control shift is failing me! Any other ideas? the problem went a way for a while but now I have it again -_-
 
Ric -

It happens to me since my keyboard is French/English compatible...

Modus -

When it doesn't work for me, I try the other control and shift (i.e. if I've been using the control shift on left side, I'd try the ones on the right side)...
 

Latest posts

Back
Top