Best Desktop system out there?

LadyFace

Famous
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
416
Calling all IT and techies alike!

Okay, so here's the deal:

What's the best desktop system out there besides a Mac pro? I'm on the search because I'm asking for a new desktop system for my 21st birthday.

I don't trust HP but if you have reasons for why I shouldn't distrust them, then show me some specs!

But yeah, help! I don't know what brands to trust or to find reliable anymore these days, you dig me?

Sincerely,
That lady with a face.
 
build your own monster


edit: like this
ikI91e.png
 
Last edited:
build your own monster

^This! If you can't build your own, talk to a relative, a friend, anyone that can. If that's really not possible, try iBuyPower or CyberPower. Honestly though the cheapest and -- funnily enough, the hands-down best way to do it is to build your own.

edit: reflex, you're an awful/awesome person.
 
^This! If you can't build your own, talk to a relative, a friend, anyone that can. If that's really not possible, try iBuyPower or CyberPower. Honestly though the cheapest and -- funnily enough, the hands-down best way to do it is to build your own.

edit: reflex, you're an awful/awesome person.


Much kick-assery was delt in this thread
 
btw, i can do better, but i was just thinking that maybe the OP had some sense of value:
ikEm3M.png


had to change the case to something that would fit the SR2

you might need more watts there, but i think that the single HCP can handle it.
 
I think the worst part is that's not just throwing a bunch of expensive parts together, that would actually BE a ridiculously monster rig. lol
 
Yeah, I'd have to agree with the others. You'll get a WAY better value if you build it yourself. ;)
 
I herd someone call for me?
/trollface

What's your budget?
 
I herd someone call for me?
/trollface

What's your budget?

In response to you and basically everyone else who have posted in this thread:

Yeah, I was also considering building my own. I has a friend who can help.

But my budget? Let me just say, if I ask for a certain amount of money for my birthday, I'll get it so then I can procure the desired parts for this thing.

However, if I succeed in getting the summer job of my dreams, I'll have that and moar. So throw your best at me and I'll take note of it for later reference.
 
best see above

If you really wanna be extreme, you should look into a custom water cooling loop for the whole setup
 
Give me a number. I can do a $500 build and a $20,000 build, and anything in between. So a number for reference is preferred.
 
Not worth the effort to do right now. And I'm talking total build, not just the tower. That would come in around the 10k mark.
 
Give me a number. I can do a $500 build and a $20,000 build, and anything in between. So a number for reference is preferred.

Holy freakin' crap. $20,000? JEEBUS. Just Jeebus.

Okay, $500 to about $700 is probably reasonable enough for me... Haha.
 
Ok, this is getting Crazy. how many times a week is this question asked?

I propose we make a list of builds for each budget and update it once a month.

<$500
$500>800
$800-$1200
$1200-$1600
$1600-$2000
2k +
We should do one in each platform using best bang per buck value as our guideline.
And we just replace parts as they come along and prices drop.

For $885 you can build this budget but totally killer gaming rig.
Wish List:
Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
1 AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
Item #: N82E16819103851
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $179.99
1 HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Item #: N82E16814161349
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy -$15.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$219.99
$204.99
1 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Item #: N82E16820145345
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy -$5.00 Instant
$105.99
$100.99
1 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152185
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$5.00 Instant
$69.99
$64.99
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
Item #: N82E16832116754
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy $99.99
1 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817139005
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$30.00 Instant
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$119.99
$89.99
1 NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811146061
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$10.00 Instant
$49.99
$39.99
1 GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128443
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $104.99

FOOTNOTE:
If you already have XP pro or whatever to recycle and reuse. You can go with 4 gigs of memory, save $50 on that, and remove cost of win 7
bringing the total to.
$735
 
Last edited:
Let’s take a look at the specification of this computer that released by Maingear and named ePHex x58.
- Power Supply : 1200W Silverstone DA1200 Power Supply
- Graphic card : 3x NVIDIA? GeForce™ GTX 285 3GB GDDR3 in SLI w/ PhysX
- Motherboard : Asus Rampage II Extreme Intel X58 Chipset
- Processor : Intel? Core™ i7-965 Extreme Edition 3.2GHz
- Thermal Management : Red Liquid
- Memory : 12GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz
- Four Hard Disks : 4 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache – SATA II
- RAID : RAID 5 – Striping With Parity (requires 3 or more HDDs)
- Two Optical Drive : 2 x LG Super Multi Blue Blu-ray™ Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM™ Drive
- Soundcard : Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
- Network Card : Bigfoot Networks Killer NIC M1
- Wireless Network Adapter : D-Link Xtreme N™ 802.11n DWA-552 PCI Adapter
- Speakers : Logitech? Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX
- Headset : Razer Piranha™ Headset
- Webcam : Logitech? QuickCam? Ultra Vision
- Primary Display : SAMSUNG 305T Black 30? 6ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
- Secondary Display : SAMSUNG 305T Black 30? 6ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
- Keyboard : Razer Lycosa™ Gaming Keyboard
- Mouse : Razer DeathAdder™ Gaming Mouse
- Exterior Finish : Red Flamewerks Automotive Finish
- Chassis Window and Lighting : Translucent Window Side Panel w/ White LED Lighting Bundle
So How much to own this computer? You should be surprised that this computer cost around $15,000.

BTW this was last years model.. This years model has newer technology and probably 18k.
 
ikuO80.png


something like that offers a good balance of value and performance. And it came it at less than $700.

I don't think i forgot anything.
 
Probably want to ask: Will an OS, monitor, mouse, and/or keyboard be needed?
 
Reflex, how are you sharing your wishlist or is that a wish list?
When I tried to save my wish list as public, I couldn't find it.

I like that last build Reflex, but as an alternative she could get this combo and save $170 and put that money to a better card and bigger PSU or even 4 more gigs of memory and win7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138179&Tpk=biostar a770e3 Biostar AM3 770 full board. $55

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103921 Phenon II x4 840 3.2 $110
 
Last edited:
Back
Top