Partition!

shan^K

Forum Fiend
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
675
Does anybody know how to create a separate partition on a computer that is using win7 without having to format the current HD? I heard it can be done on this OS but I'm having a hard time finding out how it is done correctly. Supposedly I can shrink the volume on my current C: drive to create unallocated space than use that space as a partition to run a separate OS on. Can anyone tell me if this can be done or better yet has anyone ever done something like this?
 
Here's instructions for the Microsoft Windows 7 website

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Yes. It's possible in this version of Windows to repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition or volume. (Often, the terms partition and volume are used interchangeably.)

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click Shrink Volume.

Follow the instructions on your screen.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Can-I-repartition-my-hard-disk
 
Windows 7 makes this pretty easy to do. Here are some simple instructions:

  1. Open the Start Menu and search for "compmgmt.msc" (without quotes) and hit enter.
  2. On the left-hand side bar, click "Disk Management" under "Storage".
  3. On the bottom part of the screen find the correct disk that you wish to shrink (it should be Disk 0 if you have a single HDD).
  4. Right-click that disk, select "Shrink Volume..." from the drop down menu, and follow the instructions on the dialog box that appears.
  5. After it's finished shrinking, you should be able to find the "Unallocated" space in black next to the disk number.
  6. From there, you can right-click the Unallocated space and select "New Simple Volume..." to partition the space.

These built-in Windows functions should be suitable for what you're looking to do, though there are always dedicated partition programs that may have more advanced features.

Edit: Ninja'd
 
Thanks for the help, but I got a quick question. With this I can shrink my existing drive but will it format my drive in the process?
 
Thanks for the help, but I got a quick question. With this I can shrink my existing drive but will it format my drive in the process?

No it will not. It will leave the original partition (and corresponding data) intact. The portion that is "shrunk" will be left as Unallocated space which can then be partitioned into another drive.
 
Back
Top