Recently I found I was infected with various malware. I'm not entirely sure how these things work but none of my browsers could connect due to improper proxy settings. I managed to go into the browser settings and turn off proxies but the issue would return. I tried running AVG and it found some things and I believe it removed them but I still had all the same problems I had before.
I then followed Bulletsponge's Malware Removal guide. I'm not entirely sure I did everything correctly though. The main problem I had was that many times the program would say I had to restart to properly remove things. As my computer restarted I booted into safemode once more but I'm not certain that this was what I was supposed to do.
After scanning with all four programs my browser still start up with improper proxy settings. AVG, which I presently have running in my tray as a precaution, is still informing me of malware which is present.
Throughout all this process I had another possibly related problem. Whenever I would try to restart I would get the BSOD with the error message INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR. I would think that would imply a hardware problem with my power supply but it's a little curious that both issues should coincide. I also fear that the fact that I can't shut down properly may have prevented the programs from fully removing malware since they require a restart to finish.
If anyone has any idea of what I could do it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to go through the hassle or reformatting, especially this close to Portal 2's launch.
I then followed Bulletsponge's Malware Removal guide. I'm not entirely sure I did everything correctly though. The main problem I had was that many times the program would say I had to restart to properly remove things. As my computer restarted I booted into safemode once more but I'm not certain that this was what I was supposed to do.
After scanning with all four programs my browser still start up with improper proxy settings. AVG, which I presently have running in my tray as a precaution, is still informing me of malware which is present.
Throughout all this process I had another possibly related problem. Whenever I would try to restart I would get the BSOD with the error message INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR. I would think that would imply a hardware problem with my power supply but it's a little curious that both issues should coincide. I also fear that the fact that I can't shut down properly may have prevented the programs from fully removing malware since they require a restart to finish.
If anyone has any idea of what I could do it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to go through the hassle or reformatting, especially this close to Portal 2's launch.
Last edited:

















