Weird PC start-up box.

JavaBasher

Thread Junky
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
762
I've been experiencing this problem for the past week, and I have no idea if it's the cause for my computer being slow(er) then it should. So I log into VISTA and sometimes there's a white box right in the middle of my screen, I wouldn't say its a small box but it looks like something when you install a program (a game for example). Anyways when I clicked on it nothing happened and clicked and dragged the top part of the box just because and nothing happened, except when I let go of Mouse 1, the selection box I made cut a part of the mystery box out. So it's a square with a hole in it. I can do this anywhere on the box until its gone.

Now today I had the same thing happen, except the box had a little bit of detail in it. Almost like a White wireframe of a whirlpool, kind of like this... >< , except vertically. And it had a light grey background on the right hand side. Still having the install program looking box like before.

I know this sounds vague in a way but there were no words within the box, and I never thought of taking a screen shot until now. So if it happens again I could show you guys what I mean. Ever since the box started showing up my computer has slowed down a lot.
 
Lol @ Vista thats ur problem for being slow. for the other thing, no clue. like Phobus said, scan for viruses. if its something that does't register as a virus, try restoring your computer to the last saved backup. that worked for me when i had a anti-malware program that gave me viruses on my laptop. then of course u could always bring it to a profesional at a computer shop. they got tons of programs to deal with this kind of stuff. if any of these things are wrong don't hate k?
 
I scanned for viruses and other melware and it came up with nothing. I have no idea what "Run TDSS Killer" is, and I'm currently running the defrag. I dont think I have ever backed up my files, and even if I did I don't know where to do any of this. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

EDIT: nevermind I now know what TDSS Killer is, it came up with nothing, no infection.
 
Last edited:
I scanned for viruses and other melware and it came up with nothing. I have no idea what "Run TDSS Killer" is, and I'm currently running the defrag. I dont think I have ever backed up my files, and even if I did I don't know where to do any of this. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

Start > Search for "Restore" > Choose "System Restore"

Windows periodically makes restore points. You can restore to a previously saved restore point. Otherwise, I am unsure what could be causing the problem.
 
I completed the DeFrag, and my computer is running better, and updated to the most recent driver which came out a few days ago. But I cannot see any more lag at least not as much of it.

Infection wise my computer cannot find any but I have had my Anti-Virus infected before (ultra fail I know) but, how to detect that is it I remember a program on the internet that you'd download and it would just see if anything was infected not remove it, and it showed my Anti-Virus (AVG Free 2011) was infected, I ended up getting rid of it and scanned again and found a whole bunch of tracking cookies and other corrupted files which were labeled minor I think. If anyone knows which program I'm talking about let me know because I cannot remember its name.

Oh and Windows Defender I'm trying to make it work but It wont turn on, I cannot remember what message it said but its common on google. Anyways I tried uninstalling it but its not showing up on the "Uninstall/Remove Programs List" where it should be, but my computer is saying it is installed because when I tried to reinstall it, it gave me the message of "Vista already comes with Windows Defender and there is no need to install it again." And exited the installation.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top