So hey guys, yet another "Runo, that's dumb." thread! I have a third 3.5" drive bay in my Cooler Master Storm Scout that's currently empty. Though I'm not running out of space, the problem is my current drives are a SAMSUNG SpinPoint 500GB for my boot drive (awesooome!) ... and a 320GB Caviar Blue (not so awesome...) running as my data drive. As you can see, that means my load times on vidyjah games are utterly abysmal no matter what HDD I load them up on -- because they either share space on my boot drive or they're on a pretty mediocre data drive.
Right now, I have over 150GB of games on my 500GB drive and the OS on there as well (about 190 gigs in use, out of 465). The 320 gig WD Caviar Blue has about a hundred gigs of songs, music videos, and whatever's related to games that don't really need a fast drive (like patches, mods, maps and skins and other custom content). What I'd really like to do is toss out the Blue drive completely, so with that in mind, the options I foresee are to either:
a. copy over all my Caviar Blue drive's contents to my SpinPoint and replace the Blue with a one-to-two terrabyte hard drive, moving my games and browsers over to the new HDD for a total of two drives
OR
b. put in a new, third 1 / 1.5 / 2TB drive like a BAWSS and keep the Caviar Blue in case I ever somehow run out of space (I don't use a lot of space, so this option is kinda 'meh')
OR
c. RAID setup on a couple of 1TB drives?
My motherboard is SATA-III capable, so I was eying the 64MB cache, 6GB/s HDDs like this one, but I'm hoping to hear from you guys as to what the greatest non-SSD is that money can buy.
Here's a quick cheat sheet to look at to help you help me!:
Budget?: Recently had a birthday, so -- Up to $170 preferred, $100-$150 is the sweet spot; able to push to up to $200 for a single drive but no more than that much total for two drives
Space Requirement: 1TB needed, can wittle down to 750GB if I have to for performance, but would prefer up to 2TB (but no more than two)
# of HDDs Required?: 1-2
Mobo Supports?: SATA-III up to 6.0GB/s with up to a 64MB cache
RAID?: I could easily be convinced to pick up, say, two 1TBs to put them in RAID-1 for optimal read speeds. However I don't really know how RAID setups work, just to forewarn you all!
Purpose?: I want to move all my games to the new drive and have room left over for a FRAPS video or a few. I don't record a lot of videos, and I never use a whole lot of space, so I probably don't really need more than 1.5TB but... eh.
Right now, I have over 150GB of games on my 500GB drive and the OS on there as well (about 190 gigs in use, out of 465). The 320 gig WD Caviar Blue has about a hundred gigs of songs, music videos, and whatever's related to games that don't really need a fast drive (like patches, mods, maps and skins and other custom content). What I'd really like to do is toss out the Blue drive completely, so with that in mind, the options I foresee are to either:
a. copy over all my Caviar Blue drive's contents to my SpinPoint and replace the Blue with a one-to-two terrabyte hard drive, moving my games and browsers over to the new HDD for a total of two drives
OR
b. put in a new, third 1 / 1.5 / 2TB drive like a BAWSS and keep the Caviar Blue in case I ever somehow run out of space (I don't use a lot of space, so this option is kinda 'meh')
OR
c. RAID setup on a couple of 1TB drives?
My motherboard is SATA-III capable, so I was eying the 64MB cache, 6GB/s HDDs like this one, but I'm hoping to hear from you guys as to what the greatest non-SSD is that money can buy.
Here's a quick cheat sheet to look at to help you help me!:
Budget?: Recently had a birthday, so -- Up to $170 preferred, $100-$150 is the sweet spot; able to push to up to $200 for a single drive but no more than that much total for two drives
Space Requirement: 1TB needed, can wittle down to 750GB if I have to for performance, but would prefer up to 2TB (but no more than two)
# of HDDs Required?: 1-2
Mobo Supports?: SATA-III up to 6.0GB/s with up to a 64MB cache
RAID?: I could easily be convinced to pick up, say, two 1TBs to put them in RAID-1 for optimal read speeds. However I don't really know how RAID setups work, just to forewarn you all!
Purpose?: I want to move all my games to the new drive and have room left over for a FRAPS video or a few. I don't record a lot of videos, and I never use a whole lot of space, so I probably don't really need more than 1.5TB but... eh.
















