blue screen

Archer

Thread Junky
=(e)=
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
910
I was playing world of tanks on my desktop when I got the blue screen saying "unmountable boot volume " it will not let me go into normal windows or safe mode I have windows 7 any ideas what's going on I'm typing using my smartphone
 
Have you tried using your OS Disk and tried using it to repair? It must be a corrupted file in the bios.
 
I'm trying my recovery disks but they are getting stuck. I do not have OS disk
 
You're going to be in trouble if you recovery disks keep getting stuck, and not having a OS disk could be killer. I'd suggest try you recovery disks again, make sure the disk is 100% clean.

If that fails, the next best bet would to explain what happens when the disk gets stuck, and when you try to boot into Windows normally.
 
With the disk in it gets stuck at please,wait a moment and running windows normally instantly brings up blue screen
 
Have you messed with your BIOS or did a recent BIOS update?
If so, your hard drive mode may have been altered.
AHCI and SATA mode in your BIOS, make sure the correct one is selected.
If you aren't sure, try the first mode, if it works, keep it in that mode. If it doesn't work, switch it to the other mode. If it works, keep it in that mode. If neither modes work or a mode works, please affirm in this thread.
This is a random problem solver generated from the unmountable boot volume error.
 
Well I found out how to change it but now my recovery disks get an error on disk 2/3
 
I wish I'd seen this before...
We see quite a few Unmountable_Boot_Volume BSoDs here at the shop.

Normally these can be remedied by running CHKDSK /r from a command promt (either from an OS disc or from the Repair option (if Windows Vista / 7)).

However, due to the issue you're having getting the recovery discs to work... you may want to run a Hard Drive test to see if the drive is going out...

What error are you getting with the recovery disc, and what brand computer is this? (Also, what version of Windows?)
 
Its a gateway desktop windows 7. I get an error when disc 2 gets's to 46% overall and around 40% on a certain file
 
I would get the Hard Drive checked.

If you can get access to a computer with a burner (that can burn ISOs), download and burn a copy of Hitachi's Drive Fitness. It'll check all brands of drives, and is fairly accurate. Otherwise, take it to a pro.

Also, unfortunately, I've seen my fair share of Gateway and eMachine (same company) Recovery discs (and even Recovery Partitions) that did not function as intended... (Haven't had any Gateways with Windows 7 come in yet, so not sure if they've fixed that...)
 
Ok here is the error i get with the 2nd disc i keep getting further and further with it when i run recovery over and over restore failed error code 23 data error cyclic redundancy check
 
3 main causes for the CRC error during recovery. -

1. Bad Recovery media. (Since it gets farther each time, this is becoming less likely.)
2. Bad DVD drive. (Unlikely since it boots and goes through the first disc.)
3. Bad Hard Drive.

Best bet at this point is still going to be to test the hard drive.
-If it tests good, then you can be fairly certain you have bad media and contact Gateway to get it replaced.

-If it tests bad, then you go the route of getting the drive replaced.
 
Its all fixed I just blew out dust from hidden and dvdrom. And disc 2 had scratches so I repaired that. Thanks for all your help
 
Its all fixed I just blew out dust from hidden and dvdrom. And disc 2 had scratches so I repaired that. Thanks for all your help

Awesomeness. Glad is was something simple (which I tend to overlook sometimes LOL) and nothing as serious as the hard drive. :thumbup1:
 
Back
Top