Possible cpu upgrade

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
So lately ive been thinking about upgrading my cpu. Check out my sig for my specs. My current cpu isnt overclock (even tho I have done it 2x w/o an issue). Ive been looking on ebay for c2q cpus & wondering; should I spend a lil right now & upgrade just the cpu since my motherboard will fit that socket, or should I wait & upgrade the motherboard, memory & cpu? If I do wait to upgrade all that, I want a motherboard where the cpu will be closer to the video card slot. My current cpu is all the way in the corner near the serial port. I had to battle w/ my new psu just to get the cpu power plug into the slot because of the position of the cpu & hsf.

Thoughts/suggestions??
 
Q6600's are pretty cheap on fleabay.

Maybe try to get one of those.
 
Ya I noticed the 6600's on ebay. Been thinkin bout possibly goin that direction. I think its funny what u called them tho.

I just found a couple of 9400's on ebay (a lil faster speed) for about the same price range. Your thoughts reflex?
 
Last edited:
Some games need more than 2 cores. Bad company 2 screws you over if you have less than 4.
 
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but felt the need to. Just wanted to update, theres a q9400 thats available for $90 w/ free shipping. Hoping itll stay under $100, but doubtful. The most I really use multi-core cpus for is gaming (& some videos). Once I get enough $$ aside, ill do a major upgrade (cpu, heatsink, memory, motherboard). But ya been having a hard time lately w/ TF2, Just Cause 2 (im sure theres other games but cant think of em right off the bat).
 
that is pretty good deal for 9400

I myself just got a E6750. Forgot how damn slow dual cores are.

The High FSB is nice, since it allows you a ton of flexibility with ram, but ugh 2 cores ....
 
Last edited:
I know its been almost a month since I last posted in this thread but found a decent deal on a q6600. $90 so far (0 bids & 2 days left).
 
Go for it man. Sounds like a good deal, and its a good step up for your rig.
 
Yup, jump on it. Just built a gaming HTPC w/ a e6600 and after only 3 days I'm kicking myself for passing on a $110 qx6850. I'd settle for a q6600, dual cores suck...
 
Back
Top