DNS Server isn't responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipeye

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
4,867
Okay, someone with knowledge of wireless routers hopefully can help me with this, as I have limited knowledge when dealing with networking.

I got a D-Link DIR-655. I believe it's the RevB model (90% sure on that). For the past 3 months now, I've been dealing with an error saying:
DNS Server Not Responding.

Every time this happens, I lose my connection. It's so annoying that I can't even get my printer to locate the signal wirelessly anymore, but I still have Internet connectivity somehow.

I read that I may need to change the IP settings, but I am not wholly certain of 1) How to find the IP address I'm using, 2) Change it. I did go to command prompt and typed in IPConfig, and I get the information for IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway for the Ethernet adapter LAC. Can anyone advise me what I need to do to correct this issue?
 
  1. Where are you seeing this error?
  2. When you lose connection wirelessly, does the wired connected devices still work?
  3. Is this a new router, or has this issue just started happening?
 
1) Diagnose connection. Every time I cannot I connect to the Internet, I run diagnose connection and receive that eror.
2) No. Everything is running through the Wireless ethernet box. So it's an error with the device itself. When connected directly to the internet router, Internet is working. However, when connecting the wireless router to the original, I experience the DNS error.
3) Bought in November. Reread original post.
 
Yea, I sorta skipped the 3 months thing, my bad...

By Diagnose connection, I assume you mean using Windows to diagnose and
troubleshoot the problem?

Are you able to connect to Ventrilo using the IP instead of the Hostname?
-Example:
IP=184.154.207.174
Hostname=voice.edgegamers.org
 
Like I said, I can connect to the Internet using the IP's router. However, when using the DIR router box, I experience the DNS Server isn't responding error from time to time, which means I can't use the Internet.

Is someone else knowledgeable in networking configurations that can guide me how to correct this error?
 
Like I said, I can connect to the Internet using the IP's router. However, when using the DIR router box, I experience the DNS Server isn't responding error from time to time, which means I can't use the Internet.

Is someone else knowledgeable in networking configurations that can guide me how to correct this error?
I don't understand what you mean by "I can connect to the Internet using
the IP's router
".

I asked about the Ventrilo part to make sure it is a DNS server problem.
Without a DNS server, you are only able to connect to IP addresses instead
of using domains (hostnames) such as www.google.com.


Windows doesn't always come up with the best conclusions when it comes
to networking issues.



Could you run command prompt (as administrator) and use "ipconfig /all"
(post results in
Code:
 tags please)[/I]


Something I forgot about, if you have close neighbors or live in an 
appartment/dorm, it's possible someone has the same range of DHCP IP's 
on their router and it is conflicting with your network. 
If this is the case, it's easy to fix.
 
You get access to the Internet through an Internet Provider, typically one that may also supply Phone and Cable. Signal is sent via a wire to a router that the company provides to you, which you then plug an ethernet cable into from your computer. My setup has a wireless router in addition to the one that company has provided. The IP (INTERNET PROVIDER)'s router only has one ethernet port, and is not wireless, which is why I had to purchase a third-party router. Did you even bother looking up the DNS issue in conjunction with the router? There's a lot of complaints about it, with answers, but I do not know how to do what they're saying, which I tried to explain in my original post.

No one else has a lot of experience with networking?

P.S. I'm not posting results of IP config. I'll discuss it, but won't post.
 
You get access to the Internet through an Internet Provider, typically one that may also supply Phone and Cable. Signal is sent via a wire to a router that the company provides to you, which you then plug an ethernet cable into from your computer. My setup has a wireless router in addition to the one that company has provided. The IP (INTERNET PROVIDER)'s router only has one ethernet port, and is not wireless, which is why I had to purchase a third-party router. Did you even bother looking up the DNS issue in conjunction with the router? There's a lot of complaints about it, with answers, but I do not know how to do what they're saying, which I tried to explain in my original post.

No one else has a lot of experience with networking?

P.S. I'm not posting results of IP config. I'll discuss it, but won't post.

The way you were wording everything was confusing, but reading this clears a lot of things up.

IP = Internet Protocol
ISP = Internet Service Provider

The "non-wireless router" you are referring to that your ISP provided is a modem.


Back to the problem at hand:
Searching the web, it appears most people resolve this by turning off the DNS Relay in their router settings
(because of faulty firmware D-Link still hasn't fixed).

To turn off DNS Relay:
  • Access your router through a browser on a computer that is connected to it.
  • Once in the router's control panel, go to the "Network Settings tab" on the left
  • Un-check 'Enable DNS Relay'.
  • Save Settings
(I recommend restarting the router and computers to make sure if it works or not)

Another method is changing the DNS server settings to something other than your ISP's (such as OpenDNS)
Follow the directions in this link to use OpenDNS.

If you don't know how to access your router, use the OpenDNS link provided above.


Let me know if you run into any problems, if need be I can chat with you live (I have many chat messengers/accounts).
 
Sounds good. That's the help I was hoping to get. Thanks Game. I'll try it out tonight, and post the results.
 
Alright; so the OpenDNS thing didn't work out (though the instructions were pretty good.)

I ended up going to the router settings, and doing DHCP Release, and then doing DHCP Renew and so far, I'm having a pretty good connection at the moment.

I also went to the command prompt and did dnslookup (website address). I'm not receiving an error message indicating a bad or shaky DNS server from my ISP. However, it's possible before the DHCP Release button being clicked on, the DNSPrimary and Secondary servers were different IPs, and after DHCP Renew, it now has new IPs for those two command lines. So maybe Time Warner had put in a new DNS server IP to replace the old ones.

So to Recap:
Brought up the command prompt to test the DNS server from my IP.
I had to type in 192.168.0.1 in an Internet Brower.
Matching the Primary and Secondary DNS Server, I typed in the command prompt:
nslookup (website) (primary DNS server IP)
Ex. nslookup cnn.com 555.55.55.55
If the DNS server is working, it should respond:
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: cnn.com
Addresses: 157.166.226.25
157.166.226.26
157.166.255.18
157.166.255.19
157.166.224.25
157.166.224.26
If you get an error, try using the Second DNS server IP. If both do not work, then you need to find a new DNS Server IP for both lines. Or,
Back on the main screen of your router's config, I had to click DHCP Release. Waited a few minutes, I then clicked DHCP Renew. That should force your router to reset the DNS server IP and upload any new ones that ISP may have put in (but did not take root).

Right now, I'm connected for about an hour straight, which is a good sign since I was experiencing the error within 10 minutes of using the router.
 
did u call provider and ask the to flush the DNS?

That'll be the next step, but being <name your ISP>, it's a pain in the rear.

If all fails, Factory Restore is your new friend, maybe?

Doesn't work. No matter how many times I restore or reset the wireless router, for whatever reason, it wasn't responding. I'm guessing the current longevity is due to my ISP changing the DNS IP just recently.
 
maybe it is just a bad router and you might have to buy a new one (if all the other stuff fails)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top