Building my first rig

House 2twist

Famous
Joined
May 18, 2009
Messages
508
Hey guys. I'm finally looking to build my first rig. I've been reading around and i'm trying to do a budget build for around $800 or so w/ monitor and keyboard.

I don't need top of the line equipment, just a fairly decent gaming rig that will run most games at decent FPS and be able to do my homework:P

So, what do you guys suggest?
 
i would suggest an os copy of win 7. but its highly frown appon. and i shy away from it. it but it will give u more room for hardware. http://i.imgur.com/EJ6lr.png shipping and all will total up to 738.88 with out the key board. i would go with the g11 great keyboard love it amazon is out of stock atm
 
Last edited:
yea i posted a build for him the i5 sandy bridge is hard to fit ur budget and make it a decent build with a decent gpu i would go with this http://i.imgur.com/EJ6lr.png and get whay ever key board u want unless some 1 can post a gud intel build
 
There is a good intel build but it isn't overclockable.

Some considerations on ddily's build:

Why not replace the 5770 with this?

I think this is a better motherboard for a cheaper price.

Save 10 bucks by buying this hard drive instead.

Coming up with an intel build for you.

You don't really need a gaming/mouse keyboard. Also, don't get a wireless pair.
 
Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA for that hdd! that can burn. its crap. the gpu is a gud idea. and i had that mobo it wont handle the 955 at all
 
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA for that hdd! that can burn. its crap. the gpu is a gud idea. and i had that mobo it wont handle the 955 at all

The motherboard does support the 955, look at the list before you start making assumptions.

Hitachi hard drives aren't all that crap anymore. I bought one in 2008, I use it daily, it's my boot drive, I leave my computer on much of the time, and it hasn't made the clicking noises of death.

By the way, intel build. It isn't that good. You pay moar on the CPU and skimp on some other things.
 
http://i.imgur.com/brpdf.png this is with a i5 sandy bridge total with shipping $766.90 with out the keyboard op. the 260gtx is not a bad card u can still play alot of games on it i had to down grade the gpu to do this build and hdd. its alot better then sushiflinger and it stays in the budget.
 
Last edited:
ROLF to u. i had the mobo and still do it does not support it infact the bios after updated rejected it. i just got the msi 870 and i like it better then the evo
 
Last edited:
The new bios revision supports. Perhaps you had it before the new revision.
 
The hard drive isn't amazing, but it's not "crap" either. The Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB is admittedly a much slicker deal, though, and is only $10 more right now, shipped (and it tends to be the same price or less when it's on sale, too).

and i had that mobo it wont handle the 955 at all

What makes you say that? The 955 is a Socket AM3 processor. Any 790X should have no problem handling ANY of the Phenom II (or any AMD CPU prior to AM3+) that I can think of, with the exclusion of ridiculously old ones and it might even support those.

Unless I'm retarded and overlooked some sort of glaring compatibility issue that is going around, I am drawing a blank and can only think there is literally zero reason that that particular mobo couldn't handle a 955.

EDIT: Ah, you must have had the older version of the same board Sushi is intending to order. It would have been as simple as checking the details page to back up what you said, though.
 
Here. You can't flash the bios unless you have a working CPU in it.

The M4A79XTD EVO is superior in that he can do Crossfire later on.

I don't remember 870 chipset boards being compatible with Crossfire. That said, right now I am using a Sandy Bridge build. (Asus P8P67 PRO)
 
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA for that hdd! that can burn. its crap. the gpu is a gud idea. and i had that mobo it wont handle the 955 at all

My hitachi has been fine for 3 years now. don't see any reason to not recommend.

The evo is a vastly superior board to the G54.

Some advantages include:
-8+2 phase VRM, using higher quality mosfets. The G54 uses probably the shoddiest 4+1 phase vrm i have ever seen, and are known to fail very easily with increased voltage.
-8x8x crossfire instead of 16x4x
-790x is generally considered a better overclocker.

With the G54 you get what? USB3/Sata6Gb/s oh goody.

Here. You can't flash the bios unless you have a working CPU in it.

The M4A79XTD EVO is superior in that he can do Crossfire later on.

I don't remember 870 chipset boards being compatible with Crossfire. That said, right now I am using a Sandy Bridge build. (Asus P8P67 PRO)

^pretty much what i just said


If you don't believe me that the G54 is a cruddy board, i'll post some known failures for you:

http://www.overclock.net/rants-raves/988124-rave-msi-rma-program.html
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/954523-will-i-fry-my-board-these-2.html#post12588359
http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/953524-trouble-shoot-strange-problem.html
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036905068&postcount=241
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/951091-buddy-killed-msi-gd54.html
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/794250-help-msi-870-g45-unlocking-720be-3.html#post11272679
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/943087-uh-oh-did-i-waste-my-4.html#post12416819
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/770915-i-toasted-my-msi-890fx-gd70-12.html#post12246100
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/914345-msi-870a-g54-cant-change-voltages.html#post12008181
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/839162-msi-870a-g54-lacks-mosfets.html


There are more for other MSI boards sharing similar VRM design, but i dont feel like linking them all right now.
 
Last edited:
I'm not trying to make this thread for arguing about whats better then another or to start flame wars. It is simply to build a cheap and efficient computer for a college kid on a budget while getting good components.

For HDD's, i'll probably be going with Western Digital as that's what I use for my externals and I like them a lot.

Also, I already have a Logitech g5 mouse that i'm using so all i'll need is a keyboard and monitor.
 
Last edited:
Get a basic keyboard unless you play RPGs or something or you really need it. Because of your budget you really should just get the basic keyboard. For monitors it depends on the price range/size of the monitor that you want.
 
the g11 is alot better and cheaper then the razor the only thing about the g11 it just stays 1 color. has alot more macro then the newer g series. it has 54 macros. and im going to say this again it might be something wrong with the 790x but it does not like the 955.
 
y r u acting like a little child about this. i told u wats wrong and thats it. no need for ur childish act its ab sered. that ur inadequacy is leveled with a 1st grader.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top