Hard Drive Problems!!!

Skattles

Famous
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
542
For some odd reason my computer's hard drives space goes up and down. 1 minute ill have 30 gigs the next it goes down to 18. Cant figure out what the problem is. I have doen CC Cleaner as well as uninstalled some things. I know i have more than 18 gigs on my hard drive. A few days ago it went all the way down to 8 but it comes back up and then goes back down. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE THIS IS VERRY AGRIVATING 1 time it even went down to 0.
 
Now also i want to add that i have a secondary drive that does not move at all it stays at the same space all the time.
 
For some odd reason my computer's hard drives space goes up and down. 1 minute ill have 30 gigs the next it goes down to 18. Cant figure out what the problem is. I have doen CC Cleaner as well as uninstalled some things. I know i have more than 18 gigs on my hard drive. A few days ago it went all the way down to 8 but it comes back up and then goes back down. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE THIS IS VERRY AGRIVATING 1 time it even went down to 0.

It looks like System Restore is responsible...

What version of Windows are you using? (XP/Vista/7/other)
 
To disable System Restore:
  • Click "Start", right-click "My Computer", then click "Properties."
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Click to select the "Turn off System Restore" check box. Or, click to
    select the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" check box.
  • Click OK.
(This is from what I remember, I don't have XP anymore)


I would recommend changing the size of allowed disc space for
System Restore instead of disabling it all together.

System Restore allows you to recover from a bad install or virus to just
before it happened.


If the size is currently near ~2GB, then it's fine unless you don't want it
taking up space.
 
Last edited:
I have tryed a defrag and thats not the case. Also i turned off system restore and that didn't seem to help my drive is still lower than it should be.
 
How much RAM do you have installed in your computer?

Only reason I ask is bc if you have an insane amount of RAM like, 8gb or maybe 16gb then that's perfectly normal for your pagefile to take up many gb's of space.
 
And you sure System Restore is disabled?

Goto Start> Run(or search in vista/7) and type in services.msc

Look for System Restore Event and Stop the service and Disable it from the Properties menu.
 
Also might want to do a disk check on it just to be sure there's no problems. I think you can right click on the drive and run a disk check on vista/7 but don't get me lying. It's easy to google it though.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top