Gtx 590

Panzer1509

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
2,354
So here I am, wondering if there is anything equal to a GTX 590 or slightly better/worse. :confused1:

I had the GTX 295 before but it got fried :cursing: and I need a new graphics card in my new rig.

Anyone wanna help me? :)
 
6990 is faster, and a better designed card overall.

nVidia tried too hard to match the price of the 6990, so they skimped hard on the voltage regulators on the 590. Consequently, they locked the voltage down in the drivers, and forced ridiculous OCP, so overclocking is pretty much pointless. It is a terrible card, probably one of the worst since the FX series:
21834el1.jpg


I say go for the 6990.

or if you want to go nvidia, 2 570's in SLI would be an alternative.
 
6990 is faster, and a better designed card overall.

nVidia tried too hard to match the price of the 6990, so they skimped hard on the voltage regulators on the 590. Consequently, they locked the voltage down in the drivers, and forced ridiculous OCP, so overclocking is pretty much pointless. It is a terrible card, probably one of the worst since the FX series:


I say go for the 6990.

or if you want to go nvidia, 2 570's in SLI would be an alternative.[/quote]

Spot on. As much as I love nVidia... the 590 tried too hard and flopped :(

I personally, have had the worst experience with AMD's dual GPU cards, the 4870x2 and the 5970. After both of those fiascoes I just quit, went 580 and love it.

AMD's drivers are just so much more finnicky in CFx setups, even if it's one card with two GPU's. Funny thing is, if it works perfectly for you.. the scaling is extremely impressive in the 6XXX series. Not to say the 5XX nVidia series scales poorly, but AMD really kicked it up a notch.

Panzer, if you much have a dual GPU card, take the 6990.

If you want to go with a single card setup, it's a fight between the 580 and the 6970, in which case considering the 6970's cheap blower cooler, I'd take the 580.

If you're open to SLi / CFx configurations, SLi 570's or CFx 6950's are your best option.

Absolute best performance / price would be the dual 6950's... though me personally I'd still take the 580... I'm just a nVidia fan.. and quite frankly the fact that the 580 can stay cool while not going up to space-shuttle-launch-noise... it wins. I like my case quiet :)
 
I avoid dual GPU cards. I'd go 580 and then add another in a couple months.

And since I'm a folder, no AMD cards for me...yet.
 
If noise is a problem for you, 6990 sounds like a jet engine. I would avoid the gtx 590 though. Water cooling solves the 6990 noise problem. Otherwise, gtx 580 would be your best bet for brute force at this point. 6970 is a close second though for a decent bit less.
 
Cheap blower cooler?

Inexpensive, yes. Cheap, no.

Well, I meant cheap feeling... I mean, it's insane for a cooler to get so whiney and loud at 100%... least I think so :\

It almost feels like... idk AMD said ah the cores run a bit too hot. Engineers: no problem get a billion rpm fan to blow off the heat harharhar.

Now a 6990 with vapor chamber cooling like the 570 / 580 / 590 is yummy :3
 
SLI/Crossfire is complete overkill with today's high end cards at resolutions of 1920x1200 or lower. What is your resolution and what cpu are you running? Personally my favorite gpu for the money right now is the 6950 2GB with the shaders unlocked.

Now if you want to get an eyefinity/surround setup then we can start talking dual gpu setups..

It's also important to note that multi-gpu setups require more cpu horsepower to drive. This is true even at very high triple monitor resolutions. For example a 3.6GHz i7 920 will bottleneck a 590/580 Tri-SLi setup. See here:
http://hardocp.com/article/2011/05/03/nvidia_3way_sli_amd_trifire_redux/
 

Latest posts

Back
Top