How to get started developing Android applications in Eclipse?

dRastic1337

Forum Fiend
Joined
Mar 11, 2011
Messages
583
Hey guys,

I'd like to develop Android applications. I understand that this is no simple task and that it's time-consuming to do so, but I do have an idea in mind for a simple app that I think I could pull off.

Now...if I just knew how to create it.

I'm trying to develop my application in Eclipse. Are there any basic, step-by-step tutorials that will not only teach me how to create simple applications (such as a simple flashlight that turns on and off with the press of a single button) but will also teach me the basics of developing Android applications?

For example, near the top of Activity files, I've noticed a lot of import methods/statements/whatever they're actually called. How are you supposed to know what to import? How do you learn everything that you CAN import?

I've been on the Android SDK Dev Guide, and there are tutorials there, but I feel like they just tell me what to do and don't really explain how the code works.

Thanks!
dRastic
 
There is a programming sub forum, you know. But this is why I think it should be over here instead of in Creative Corner. Here's a link.

I think you have to get plugins to be able to develop for android in Eclipse.
 
I tried to code an application using Eclipse for Android and ended up using appinventor instead.

Even though I know the Java language (which is used for Android) I found the appinventor easier. There are some things the appinventor can't do yet that I can do with code, but for the most part, I found it easier.

Do you already know Java? If not, you definitely need to learn it before coding in Eclipse for android.
 
@Phobus: Yep, I've got the required ADT plugin installed. I'm able to develop Android applications; I just didn't know how to. :P

@FreakingHell: I have to say, App Inventor is a nifty little tool. I tried using it once or twice, but I just figured that my app would be more professional and easier to edit if I actually learned how to do it in Eclipse. App Inventor definitely is easier, with the Blocks Editor being more of a drag-and-drop interface, but, yeah, I really didn't want to do it in App Inventor.

@Cacophonus: Thank you for clearing that up. :)

Thank you for your replies, though, guys. I found a very helpful tutorial here that kind of explained how event listeners work, as well as teaching some of the nice features of Eclipse that I didn't know existed. Anyways, everything makes a lot more sense now, and I actually have part of my application working. No joke. :D

Thanks again! :D
 
No problem. If you have any Java-specific questions, feel free to PM me.
 
People always get stuck with their first applications (except the famous hello world applications). It's always good to start with a basic computer language such as C.
 
Back
Top