What got you started with Programming?

extremelyhotsauce

EGO Addict
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
1,295
I am mainly a LUA person for gmod. I can do basic things, but not very good at it. Some people call the I/O system for hammer a simplistic version of programming so if that counts then I do that aswell. I do LUA because it is a simple, yet powerful language and the things I have seen on GMOD and Roblox never cease to amaze me. Most of the people I know that do the hardcore programming like in C++ do it for their jobs, not really for gaming. They are either system programmers, or website programmers. So what got you interested?
 
I am mainly a LUA person for gmod. I can do basic things, but not very good at it. Some people call the I/O system for hammer a simplistic version of programming so if that counts then I do that aswell. I do LUA because it is a simple, yet powerful language and the things I have seen on GMOD and Roblox never cease to amaze me. Most of the people I know that do the hardcore programming like in C++ do it for their jobs, not really for gaming. They are either system programmers, or website programmers. So what got you interested?

I hate to bring a dead thread to life but... C++ can be used for gaming.... a whole lot of gaming, World of Warcraft is almost all in C# and it is one of the largest games in the world.

But I started programming (assuming web development is programming) about 2 years ago when I was still playing WoW. I was a big private server fanatic and I started my own. I wrote a little bit of LUA (For server reasons and addon reasons) and I had to edit and compile C++ for the server's core. When I started making the website for the server I fell in love with web development. - Personally I don't think there is a better feeling in the world then looking at a website that you just coded/built/edited and using it.
 
I started programming in Java(J2SE and J2EE) like 3 years ago. I work as programmer and Java is the main language I use. I learned VB .Net and C too, but i don't use them too much.
 
Though I'm not very good at it, what mainly got my interested in the LUA language was from in fact the game ROBLOX. (Played it from 07 - 09, was a good game, though I was just interested seeing what some people were doing with LUA and their creativity). Other than that, I know very basic Java. So I'm not someone to call a programmer at all, just thought I'd reply to this thread seeing that I did in fact gain some knowledge to LUA and since then I've always been interested in it.
 
Back
Top