As you can probably see, my rig isn't all that impressive. It's okay as a budget beast, but now that I have a better idea of what I'm building, I'd like to give it another go with a higher pool of moolah and future-proof the crap out of this thing (say, at least 3-4 years before I'll really be hankering for an upgrade. I can only really afford to majorly update my rig every ~5 years). I wanted to try an Intel build this time.
I get a big sum of money in check-form every now and then for a past mishap. That aside, my budget's around $1600 tops but I'd prefer to spend no more than $1500 with or without shipping.
The build I have so far is pretty much all the modern necessities, including aftermarket cooling for later OC'ing, three matching 500GB SpinPoint F3s for RAID-5, eight gigs of some (IMHO) pretty sweet RAM ... though maybe it could be better? I wasn't positive with my motherboard choice, either. I also don't mind the idea of a multi-GPU setup. Maybe CrossfireX a pair of 6950s? I initially didn't choose that option because some people are hinting that they've 'patched' the unlock "issue", but I'm not sure how valid that statement is.
Please keep in mind that I probably won't be ordering 'til sometime in July or later. If Bulldozer is worth waiting for, I'm an admitted AMD fanboy and will gladly wait for that -- but I won't pass up on an Intel build if that's 'the haps' either. Pretty much, give me ideas here!
I get a big sum of money in check-form every now and then for a past mishap. That aside, my budget's around $1600 tops but I'd prefer to spend no more than $1500 with or without shipping.
The build I have so far is pretty much all the modern necessities, including aftermarket cooling for later OC'ing, three matching 500GB SpinPoint F3s for RAID-5, eight gigs of some (IMHO) pretty sweet RAM ... though maybe it could be better? I wasn't positive with my motherboard choice, either. I also don't mind the idea of a multi-GPU setup. Maybe CrossfireX a pair of 6950s? I initially didn't choose that option because some people are hinting that they've 'patched' the unlock "issue", but I'm not sure how valid that statement is.
Please keep in mind that I probably won't be ordering 'til sometime in July or later. If Bulldozer is worth waiting for, I'm an admitted AMD fanboy and will gladly wait for that -- but I won't pass up on an Intel build if that's 'the haps' either. Pretty much, give me ideas here!









. I don't personally think the 2600k is worth it, and 3TB of F3's seems silly to me. If you get less space and a 2500k, you should be able to get a good SSD in there which I think would be a great idea. He also forgot to add in the CPU heatsink, but a CM212+ which you already selected is cheap and effective.












