Source games won't launch on my HTPC

forty2skates

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
732
Portal 1, 2, and TF2 all freeze when trying to launch them on my HTPC. x64 Windows 7 Ultimate running a e6600 and 550 ti 4gb RAM. My monitor is a VGA 44" plasma 1366x768 @ 57 htz (yeah, I know). All three games hang at the very start of the opening with the Valve guy logo, I don't actually see the guy, but I hear is music flickering in and out and my monitor flashes "no source" repeatedly. Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Lots of other games launch flawlessly, BC2, JC2, Mafia II, DiRT 3, etc...
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a compatibility issue.
I will work on your request unless someone else solves it before me.

Sit tight.
 
start steam/library/TF2/properties/launch options/ type -autoconfig /click ok/close steam/restart/ run TF2
 
Still no love. Also tried running as Admin, nothing.

Found something about the 275.33 drivers causing problems but I've had to give up the HTPC to my wife so she could watch a movie, I'll try rolling back to 270.61 later tonight.
 
270.61 didn't help...

Something I should have tried early on, disabling the iMON IR receiver and LCD screen also didn't help...
 
Last edited:
I had a problem likewise this.

1. Disable steam cloud (It restores settings and files when you log onto steam other places)
2. Restart steam
3. Delete all steam folders (If you have any games you want to keep from steam you can put them on the desktop)
4. Reinstall steam and games.

This should work.
 
I had a problem likewise this.

1. Disable steam cloud (It restores settings and files when you log onto steam other places)
2. Restart steam
3. Delete all steam folders (If you have any games you want to keep from steam you can put them on the desktop)
4. Reinstall steam and games.

This should work.

Nope
 
Well I got Source working with the help of Steam support last night, launching with -safe did the trick but I need to configure video every time after the game launches. Kind of a pain but at least it works now.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top