Looking for computer build around 900$

that_guy

Forum Fiend
Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Messages
677
My budget is around 900$, give or take a hundred, All I need is for the computer to be able to play any game at medium/high settings (BC2, SC2 etc.) I would prefer ATI cards but would not mind a similar Nvidia for cheaper, I would also prefer an Intel CPU because I am not familiar with AMD. One last thing I would like to prefer is a full tower case, my current computer is a mid tower and I didn't like squishing everything together when I upgraded parts.
Also, if I have a Windows vista hard drive can I put that on this new build alongside a new hard drive and use windows 7 at the same time?

Things I have
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor
Soundcard

Things I need
Full computer build other than the things I listed above
Windows 7

Thanks!
That Guy

P.S. whoever's build I choose gets 1 free internets!
 
I hope this list I've compiled helps you. I went over your budget by quite a bit, but I spent so much time working on it, and it may be able to help you anyways, so I'm still posting it. I'm sure if you held off on Windows 7 and used that Windows Vista hard drive you mentioned (I assume that's something that you already have :P), there's probably a way you can get your new build working with that current Vista hard drive. That would bump your price down by $200, and you could just buy Windows 7 later.

Case:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - $154.48 + $19.99 shipping = $174.47

Power supply unit:

Antec BP550 Plus 550W - $64.99 + $2.99 shipping = $67.98

Motherboards + CPUs: - Here I've included combos for both Intel and AMD. I've been told by several friends that AMD is better for gaming, while Intel is better for running many intensive applications simultaneously. I am not certain if this is true or not, but I've included combos for each anyways.

ASUS M4A87TD EVO - $104.99 + $7.87 shipping = $112.86
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.4GHz - $129.99 + free shipping = $129.99
Total for both: $242.85

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 - $159.99 + $8.50 shipping = $168.49
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge @ 3.3GHz - $219.99 + free shipping = $219.99
Total for both: $388.48

RAM:

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $45.99 + $0.99 shipping = $46.98

Graphics card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 - $339.99 + $7.87 shipping - $30 mail-in rebate = $317.86

Hard drive:

WD Caviar Black 750GB - $69.99 + free shipping = $69.99

Optical drive:

ASUS 24x DVD burner - $19.99 + $4.99 shipping = $24.98

Operating system:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (includes 32- and 64-bit version) - $189.99 + free shipping = $189.99

GRAND TOTAL (with Windows 7):
With AMD motherboard and CPU: $1135.10
With Intel motherboard and CPU: $1280.73

As for your question, you of course cannot run multiple operating systems simultaneously (unless you want to use a virtual machine), but when your computer boots up, it is possible to choose whether you would like to boot into your existing Windows Vista installation or your Windows 7 installation. If you'd like some help doing that once you've got your new build, just PM me on the forums and I'll do my best to help you out. ;)

I hope this helps! Good luck and have fun! :D

dRastic
 

Latest posts

Back
Top