Andriod Programming

UnderLord

Famous
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
491
Anyone know some good tutorials for someone interested in learning to program games or apps for the Android phones? I currently have a Android 2.2 phone, I was thinking of making a clone of a old game I used to play in middle school.

I also understand that it is not the easiest thing to do in the world, I have also Googled the question but to many results came up and lately I have not had time to wade through them all.

Any thoughts suggestions etc would be appreciated. :thumbup:
 
First, you need to learn Java. How much Java do you know?
 
I know enough to make a mouse over navigation bar and that's about it. I have found a nice IDE called Intelli J which i am going to use since it has built in support for android programming. I am currently looking for sample code on making a interface for games etc.
 
You need a lot more familiarity with Java than just that to start making games for Android.
 
I would disagree with Phobus. While it's definitely helpful to have background knowledge on Java programming before programming for Android devices, I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary. You may not be able to create a game right away, but I found the tutorials located here very useful in beginning developing apps for Android. I actually have a basic but decent app coming along, just from watching these videos and doing a little research online as I learned new things.

If you'd like a little help getting your tools set up, I'd be happy to help you with what I use and what I've found successful - the Eclipse IDE with the Android ADT plugin installed. I'm sure it's perfectly fine to use the Intelli J IDE if it has Android support, but I regret that I probably couldn't help you with setting that up.

The best of luck to you! Have fun! :D

dRastic
 
I use Appcelerator to build mobile applications using HTML, CSS and Javascript. I could see using parts of HTML such as canvas to create games, but I'm not sure how well it would work for games since it may draw slowly.
 
Thanks for the comments, I know its going to be a slow road since I haven't programmed anything in years but I for some reason feel confident that in a few months I will have something to show for it, besides its free to learn. Is Eclipse free? I saw it referenced but did not think it was a free IDE like Intelli J.
 
I use Appcelerator to build mobile applications using HTML, CSS and Javascript. I could see using parts of HTML such as canvas to create games, but I'm not sure how well it would work for games since it may draw slowly.

Well the game i'd be making would require HTML which I have a great deal of knowledge on in fact its a text based game I am just trying to figure out how to make it work the best for a android. I might end up just making a graphic version of it if I cannot get it to work properly on the droid and yes I can play it online since its web browser based off the droid however I thought it'd be much more fun if it were a app.
 
if your looking for code snipits, google's api base is pretty huge right now. you might try there...

if you getting it working let me know i have a droid too - i'd love to test it.
 
I would disagree with Phobus. While it's definitely helpful to have background knowledge on Java programming before programming for Android devices, I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary. You may not be able to create a game right away, but I found the tutorials located here very useful in beginning developing apps for Android. I actually have a basic but decent app coming along, just from watching these videos and doing a little research online as I learned new things.

If you'd like a little help getting your tools set up, I'd be happy to help you with what I use and what I've found successful - the Eclipse IDE with the Android ADT plugin installed. I'm sure it's perfectly fine to use the Intelli J IDE if it has Android support, but I regret that I probably couldn't help you with setting that up.

The best of luck to you! Have fun! :D

dRastic

I think knowing how to program in Java is crucial for programming for Android when the language you're going to use is Java. Gotta learn to walk before you run.

I haven't done any Android development, but from some of the code I've seen, it's heavy in XML. You might want to get familiar with it. It's not very hard. It's like a simplified version of HTML in my opinion.

Good luck with the programming. Any questions, feel free to ask me.
 
if your looking for code snipits, google's api base is pretty huge right now. you might try there...

if you getting it working let me know i have a droid too - i'd love to test it.

Thanks =) I also need to find out if and how the droid would do multiplayer I have seen some multiplayer droid games but I haven't downloaded any. I knwo the api base is gigantic i'v been looking all day the example base is pretty big too.
 
I think knowing how to program in Java is crucial for programming for Android when the language you're going to use is Java. Gotta learn to walk before you run.

I haven't done any Android development, but from some of the code I've seen, it's heavy in XML. You might want to get familiar with it. It's not very hard. It's like a simplified version of HTML in my opinion.

Good luck with the programming. Any questions, feel free to ask me.

I agree I need to learn way more java and am in the process of reading tutorials based off of programming for the droid. XML I will have to look up I know most of the files you make like layouts etc is XML which is giving me some hope of making a decent lay out / interface for the game.
 
Back
Top